Diagnostic Medical Sonography - Associate in Applied Science (AAS) (3426)
Are you a problem solver with strong interpersonal skills? Do you have an interest in producing ultrasound images of the human body to help diagnose diseases? Are you looking for a career that combines these skills and allows you to make a difference in the lives of others? If this sounds like you, a career in diagnostic medical sonography may be the YOUR choice.
All students interested in this program must begin in the Pre-Health Professions Program. Then, students may apply for admission into this program once they meet the requirements to apply. Students will discuss these admission requirements as part of their advising process.
After graduation, you may work as an entry-level diagnostic medical sonographer in the Abdominal Sonography-Extended and Obstetrics and Gynecology Sonography areas of study. These individuals work in ultrasound departments in hospitals and independent medical imaging centers.
You may be suited for this program and career if you:
- Are a compassionate person with strong interpersonal skills
- Have good hand-eye coordination and solid technical skills
- Are detail-oriented with a passion for ongoing learning
- Have the ability to function in a fast-paced healthcare environment
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
By enrolling in our Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program, you will be prepared to enter the workforce as Diagnostic Medical Sonographers in the Abdominal Sonography-Extended and Obstetrics and Gynecology Sonography. You will be educationally prepared and clinically competent, as a prerequisite, for entering into professional practice. Graduates are able to provide patient care services using ultrasound and related diagnostic procedures.
Locally YOURS, our program is offered in cooperation with affiliated hospitals and medical imaging centers in the area. This allows you to gain hands-on experience. through both classroom and lab instruction, while hospitals and medical imaging centers provide the clinical instruction.
Our program is selective, which means you must meet specific requirements beyond admission to the College. For example, you need to complete and pay for the following before starting the clinical portion:
- Background checks
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certification
- Curriculum requisites (must be met prior to starting the core curriculum)
- Drug and alcohol screens
- Physical examination and immunizations
As a graduate of our program, you will know how to:
- Perform as competent entry level diagnostic medical sonographers in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills) and affective (behavior) learning domains for the Abdominal Sonography-Extended and Obstetrics and Gynecology Sonography learning concentrations
- Utilize oral and written communication
- Demonstrate knowledge and application of ergonomic techniques, infection control, and patient care
- Demonstrate knowledge of the roles and responsibilities of health care professions to effectively communicate and collaborate with a diverse population in the health care environment
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of anatomy, relational anatomy, anatomic variants, sonographic appearance, physiology, pathology and pathophysiology of the abdomen, superficial structures, gravid and nongravid pelvis
- Demonstrate knowledge and application of image production, optimization and biological effects
- Perform sonographic examinations of the abdomen, superficial structures, gravid and non-gravid pelvis with both transabdominal and endocavity transducers and Doppler/M mode display modes according to practice parameters established by national profession organizations and the protocols of the clinical affiliates
- Recognize, identify and document the sonographic appearance of normal and abnormal structures and processes of the abdomen, superficial structures, gravid and nongravid pelvis
The Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) accredits our Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program. They are located at 9355-113th Street N. #7709. Seminole, FL 33775, and their phone number is 727-210-2350, www.caahep.org.upon the recommendation of the Joint Review Committee on Education in Diagnostic Medical Sonography (JRC-DMS). They are located at 6021 University Boulevard, Suite 500, Ellicott City, MD 21043, and their phone number is 443-973-3251, www.jrcdms.org.
Yes! Although our Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program is designed to lead you directly into the workforce, transfer opportunities are available if you wish to continue your education. Affordably YOURS, our programs are designed to be flexible enough to transfer to a wide variety of colleges and universities with no loss of credit. However, each individual college has its own unique program. Therefore, we encourage you to select a four-year school as soon as possible. This will allow you to learn the transfer college’s program requirements so that you can take the proper classes at HACC.
YOUR transfer options include:
|Saint Francis University - Francis Worldwide:||Diagnostic Medical Sonography (A.A.S.) (pdf)|
You can complete the entire program at our Harrisburg Campus. Clinical rotations are assigned within 85 miles of the Harrisburg Campus.
Yes! Thanks to the HACC Foundation, scholarships are available. Please visit hacc.edu/scholarships to learn how you can apply.
We offer courses in the spring, summer and fall, and you can apply anytime. When enrolling into the Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program, you must apply to the non-clinical component of the program first. Therefore, please use the program code 3426 to make sure your application is for the correct program.