Respiratory Therapist - Associate in Science (AS) (3920)
Are you a compassionate person with strong communication skills? Can you think quickly during an emergency? Do you enjoy working with high-tech equipment? If this is a solid description of you, consider the field of respiratory therapy.
As a respiratory therapist, you will assist physicians in the diagnosis, management and treatment of patients who suffer with cardiopulmonary disorders.
After graduating with your Associate in Science (AS) in respiratory therapy, you will be ready to find a job as a registered respiratory therapist. You could work in:
- Home healthcare companies
- Nursing homes
- Physician’s offices
- Rehabilitation centers
You may enjoy this program if you:
- Have strong math and science skills
- Are a compassionate person who is patient and has good communication skills
- Can solve problems quickly in high-pressure situations
- Enjoy working with people
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
Our program prepares you to enter the workforce as a respiratory therapist. As such, you will be assisting physicians in the diagnosis, management and treatment of patients suffering from cardiopulmonary disorders. We offer this program in cooperation with:
- Life Care Hospital of Mechanicsburg
- Penn State Health System - Milton S. Hershey Medical Center
- Geisinger Holy Spirit Hospital
- UPMC Pinnacle Health System
- Summit Health
- Wellspan York Hospital
- FOX Subacute Hospital
- Pulmonary and Critical Care Associates
By the time you graduate, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate proficiency as a respiratory therapist as described by the National Board for Respiratory Care
- Assist physicians in the diagnosis, management and treatment of patients afflicted with cardiopulmonary disorders
- Function effectively as members of the healthcare team
- Comprehend, apply and evaluate clinical information relevant to their role as registered respiratory care therapists (Cognitive Domain)
- Demonstrate technical proficiency in all registered respiratory therapist skills (Psychomotor Domain)
- Demonstrate personal behaviors consistent with professional and employer expectations for the registered respiratory therapist (Affective Domain)
Our program is selective, which means there are entrance requirements that go beyond the standard application for admission into HACC. We encourage you to visit the health careers section of our website or email us for more information about these entrance requirements.
Additionally, you must:
- Complete the following items at your own expense before you can begin the clinical portion of this program:
- Physical examination and immunizations
- Background checks
- Drug and alcohol screens
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification
- Purchase uniforms, supplies, liability insurance and clinical parking fees
- Have the following:
- Current American Heart Association Healthcare Provider BLS (CPR) certification
- Current American Heart Association Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certification
- American Heart Association Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) certification
- Professional development credits
- Satisfactory performance on comprehensive (mid program and final) written, laboratory, simulation and oral examinations
To successfully maintain your eligibility and advance through this program, you need to earn a grade of C or higher for each HACC course you take. Before you start your second term, you must be a member of the American Association for Respiratory Care (AARC).
Our program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care. (Program #200296). CoARC accredits respiratory therapy education programs in the United States. To achieve this end, it utilizes an ‘outcomes based’ process. Programmatic outcomes are performance indicators that reflect the extent to which the educational goals of the program are achieved and by which program effectiveness is documented.
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
This program is designed to lead you directly into the workforce. Should you choose to transfer to a 4-year school, HACC has negotiated agreements with some four-year schools that allow you to transfer with no loss of credits and complete a bachelor’s degree. For transfer options for this program, check with the Program Director or your advisor.
Your transfer options include:
|Bloomsburg University of PA:||Bachelor of Applied Science Technical Leadership (ONLINE & campus) (pdf)|
|Saint Francis University - Francis Worldwide:||Respiratory Therapist (A.S.) (pdf)|
Yes! Thanks to the HACC Foundation, scholarships are available. Please visit hacc.edu/scholarships to learn how you can apply.
We offer courses in the spring, summer and fall. You can apply anytime by visiting our website. When enrolling into the Respiratory Therapist Program, you must apply to the non-clinical component of the program first. Please use the program code 3920 on your application to ensure that you apply to the correct program.
With our innovative instructors, convenient class schedules, state-of-the-art equipment and transfer opportunities, we can help you achieve YOUR career goals. For more information about this associate degree, please contact an admissions counselor, visit the health careers section of our website or email us.