Paralegal Studies - Certificate (5301)
Do you have a bachelor’s degree, but you want to explore the legal field? Do you enjoy researching different legal topics?
This Paralegal Studies curriculum awards a post-baccalaureate certificate that is approved by the American Bar Association (ABA).
After earning your certificate, you’ll be ready to work as an assistant in law libraries or a paralegal in private, corporate and governmental law practices and title insurance companies.
It is important to note that paralegals may not provide legal services directly to the public, except as permitted by the law. Paralegals support lawyers with a variety of tasks, such as:
- Conducting legal research
- Drafting memorandums, briefs and litigation documents
- Maintaining and organizing files
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
You will learn how to provide legal services under the supervision of an attorney in law-related occupations, and:
- Conduct research and prepare legal memoranda and briefs
- Conduct computer-assisted legal research
- Prepare and draft litigation documents (complaints, answers, motions, discovery documents)
- Perform administrative tasks in a legal office
- Prepare and draft legal documents related to estates (wills, trusts), bankruptcy (petitions, schedules), domestic relations (support/property settlement agreements), real estate law (deeds, settlement sheets)
It’s important to note that this is a selective program. Your admission to HACC does not guarantee your acceptance into this program. Since this program is a post-baccalaureate certificate, you must have a bachelor’s degree to enroll. When you apply to the program, please include your official transcripts.
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
Our certificate is designed to lead you directly into the workforce. However, if you wish to continue your education, we encourage you to earn an associate degree at HACC!
When you complete your associate degree, you can continue and transfer credits to a four-year school.
|Central Penn College:||Paralegal to Legal Studies (pdf)|
We offer classes in the spring, summer and fall. You can apply online anytime by visiting our website and submitting your application. You must also submit your official transcripts to show you have a bachelor’s degree. When you apply, please include the program’s unique code 5301. This will ensure you apply to the correct program.