Municipal Police Academy Program (ACT 120) - Non-Credit (0006)
Our high-quality police training is well regarded by police officers throughout the region. If you are interested in serving your community as a police officer, HACC, Central Pennsylvania’s Community College, is YOUR place to start.
Jump to career information below!
Find your state's license and certification requirements.
Police officers serve to protect the residents and businesses of a community, maintain law and order and investigate crimes.
The skills often shared by police offers are compassion, critical thinking, ability to follow orders and effective communication.
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Successfully YOURS, the Senator John J. Shumaker Public Safety Center at HACC’s Harrisburg Campus is a certified police-training center under the Municipal Police Officers Education and Training Commission (MPOETC). In the training center, you willbe prepared to:
- Enforce criminal and traffic laws
- Develop proficiency in investigative techniques, verbal and writing skills
- Develop proficiency in use of firearms and defense tactics
- Meet established standards of physical fitness
- Develop proficiency in operation of police patrol vehicles
- Develop skills in human relations and community-oriented policing
- Develop skills in patrol procedures and operations
- Develop skills in crisis management
- Receive certification in emergency medical response
You can choose to enroll full time or part time in the academy. Though, municipal police officers and county detectives are required to complete this 25-week police academy in order to attain certification which is mandated by the MPOETC.
- View summaries of our noncredit courses at HACC by browsing our schedule.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
Upon successful completion of the Municipal Police Academy, you may be eligible to receive credits towards HACC's associate degrees in police science or criminal justice. When you complete your associate degree, you can transfer credits to a four-year school.
The entire program is available at the Senator Jeffrey E. Piccola Law Enforcement Complex on the Harrisburg Campus.
Yes! Through the HACC Foundation, there are scholarships available. Please visit hacc.edu/scholarships for details and deadlines.
For the full-time classes, please contact us to begin your application process in March to enroll in July and in August to enroll in the January start date. The part-time class is January-December, so please contact us in August.
Future students, we are excited to connect with you and answer your questions. Please choose the option that works best for you to meet with us.
Current HACC students, please contact our Advising Department with any questions.
Meet Caroline: Achieving Her Goals
“Every instructor shared their own personal stories and experiences, along with encouraging us to work harder and be our best.”