Police Science - Associate in Applied Science (AAS) (6806)
Do you have an interest in an entry-level job in law enforcement? Are you looking to begin your career in the near future? Our Police Science program can be your stepping stone to a fulfilling career in law enforcement.
Upon completion of our Associate in Applied Science (AAS) in police science, you’ll be prepared for the workforce or to continue your education in police science. After graduating from our Police Science program, you’ll be ready for local or national employment. Graduates of our program have become:
- Agents for specialized law-enforcement agencies
- Evidence technicians
- Municipal or state police officers
- Private investigators
- Private security supervisors
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
Our program provides practical training in our criminalistics laboratory, one of the best-equipped crime laboratories in Pennsylvania. You’ll receive hands-on experience in:
- Bloodstain pattern analysis
- Crime scene processing
- Fingerprint analysis
- Firearms examination
- Forensic pathology
- Police photography
- Shooting reconstruction
Over the two years, you will:
- Discuss the history, philosophy and organization of law enforcement and criminal justice systems
- Apply principles of police management and operations
- Demonstrate the proper methods of collection, documentation and preservation of evidence
- Identify the technologies commonly operated by police agencies
- Practice the management and techniques of patrol operations
- Distinguish between the various theories that identify the causes of criminal behavior
- Explain the history, theory and application of criminal law
You may need to submit an ACT 34 Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Background Check before you enroll in our program, begin your field experience, take a qualifying police test or seek employment.
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
This program is designed to lead you directly into the workforce. Should you choose to transfer to a 4-year school, HACC has negotiated an agreement with Bloomsburg that will allow you to transfer with no loss of credits and complete a bachelor’s degree right here in Harrisburg. For other transfer options, check with your advisor or go to our Transfer Services Page.
Browse our various transfer options for Police Science students below:
Thanks to the HACC Foundation, you can apply for approximately 200 scholarships to help you meet your academic goals. Please visit hacc.edu/scholarships to learn how to apply.
We offer classes in the spring, summer and fall. You can apply anytime on our website. Please submit your application online using the specific program code 6806. This code ensures you’re applying for the correct program.