Mechanical Engineering Technology - Associate in Science (AS) (4700)
Are you interested in prototyping technologies, designing vehicles, doing computer-aided-drafting or handling machinery? Do you enjoy solving problems and understanding the world around you? Are you interested in robotics, automation and solving environmental issues? If so, a career in mechanical engineering is the place for you!
Mechanical engineers develop solutions to the technical problems of today and tomorrow. Our Mechanical Engineering Technology Program can give you the solid foundation you need to succeed in this challenging and rewarding career.
After receiving your associate degree, you will be prepared to enter the workforce as technicians in the manufacturing industry. Although this program is designed to lead directly to employment, there are opportunities for you to transfer your credits to a four-year school if you wish to continue your education.
As a graduate of our program, you’ll be ready to work as a technician in:
- Design and drafting
- Prototype manufacturing
- Technical sales
- Mechanical engineering
You may be a perfect fit for our program and this career path if you:
- Enjoy mathematical concepts and working with computers
- Are an analytical thinker who can solve problems with deductive reasoning
- Have good organizational and time-management skills
- Work well in team settings and can communicate effectively
- Think technically and enjoy the challenge of solving complex problems with creative thinking
- Have strong math skills and geometry skills
- Can easily visualize 3-D images in your mind
- Possess excellent computer skills
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
We offer state-of-the-art drafting and design classes. You’ll use a computer-aided-design (CAD) system and work with the sophisticated computer-numerical-controls (CNC) and programmable logic controls (PLC) systems.
As a graduate of our program, you will be able to:
- Write and speak effectively
- Effectively operate a solid modeling system
- Identify the student's career path
- Solve engineering problems
- Analyze static structures using trigonometry
- Prepare technical reports and manuals
- Analyze dynamic problems using trigonometry
- Identify properties of engineering materials and their common modes of failure
- Perform basic programming of CNC tools and fabricate components
- Program and operate PLC systems
- Identify global and ethical engineering issues
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
- Review our new academic maps (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
This program is designed to lead you directly into the workforce. Should you choose to transfer to a 4-year school, HACC has negotiated an agreement with Bloomsburg that will allow you to transfer with no loss of credits and complete a bachelor’s degree right here in Harrisburg. For other transfer options, check with your advisor or go to our Transfer Services Page.
With our Mechanical Engineering Technology program, your transfer options are:
|Bloomsburg University of PA:||Bachelor of Applied Science Technical Leadership (ONLINE & campus) (pdf)|
|Penn State Harrisburg:||Mechanical Engineering Technology (pdf)|
|Shippensburg University of PA:||Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies (pdf)|
You can enroll in HACC classes in the spring, summer and fall. To apply anytime, please visit our website. Please include program code 4700 with your application. This unique code ensures you’re applying to your intended program.