Graphic & Interactive Design - Associate in Applied Science (AAS) (2841)
Do you have an interest in computers and an eye for design? HACC’s Graphic and Interactive Design Program can be your path to a rewarding career in the graphic design field. Throughout our associate degree, you will complete the courses you need to create a portfolio that highlights your skills for job interviews.
After completing our program and receiving your Associate in Applied Science (AAS), we can help you transfer your credits to a four-year school or prepare you to obtain a job in this field.
Our Graphic and Interactive Design program will give you the foundation to pursue a job in an exciting, creative field. After completing your associate degree, you can transfer your credits to a four-year school to work towards a bachelor’s degree, or you can apply for an entry-level position with:
- Advertising agencies
- Corporate in-house art departments
- Design firms
- Government agencies
- Retail stores
- Television stations
- Web and multimedia production companies
- Like to use computer software to create images and designs
- Enjoy using images to communicate with others
- Have the ability to come up with clever, out-of-the-box solutions to problems
- Pay close attention to details
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
Our program will teach you how to develop concepts, create visuals, and typography and be proficient in a wide range of industry-standard equipment and graphic/web software. .
Our Graphic and Interactive Design program is selective.
First, you must complete the Foundations Program (2831), which consists of art foundation courses. At the end of this program, you will submit a portfolio for review. For more information on the portfolio requirements, view our portfolio example pieces (pdf). If you pass the portfolio review and meet the designated entry requirements, you may enroll in the Graphic and Interactive Design program.
Once you enroll in the program, you will:
- Learn how to use industry-standard equipment and software
- Develop your appreciation for the arts
- Fine-tune your creative and critical thinking skills
- Have an opportunity to do an internship or do a capstone experience
Our creative professors will work with you and help you create your print and Web portfolio. You can use this portfolio during a job interview to highlight your skills in digital imaging, layout, design, Web and interactive media. See galleries of premier HACC student work here. View professional work by our Graphic and Interactive Design faculty here.
As you complete our program, you will:
- Demonstrate mastery of skills involved in the graphic and interactive design field
- Create an effective visual communication
- Operate computers and graphic software used in design, web and interactive media
- Present a professional portfolio
- Write and speak effectively
The National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD) accredits HACC’s Art programs. The U.S. Department of Education recognizes NASAD as a specialized accrediting agency for art and design schools. NASAD is responsible for establishing curricular standards and guidelines for specific degrees and credentials. HACC had to undergo a peer review process to gain institutional membership.
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
Affordably YOURS, we designed our programs to be flexible enough to transfer to a wide variety of four-year colleges and universities with no loss of credit. However, each individual college has its own unique program. We encourage you to select a four-year school as soon as possible. This will allow you to learn the transfer college’s program requirements so you can take the proper classes at HACC.
Our various transfer options for Graphic and Interactive Design students include:
|Bloomsburg University of PA:||Bachelor of Applied Science Technical Leadership (ONLINE & campus) (pdf)|
|Pennsylvania College of Technology:||Graphic & Interactive Design (pdf)|
You can complete the full Graphic and Interactive Design program at HACC’s Harrisburg Campus. While most HACC classes for the Graphic and Interactive Design program are available during the day, we offer certain courses at night only.
To apply to the Graphic and Interactive Design program, visit our website to submit your application. You can enroll in classes during the spring, summer and fall based on your schedule. Please use the Foundations program code 2831 when you submit your application or program code 2841 for the Graphic and Interactive Design AAS program. The code designates each specific program to ensure you’re enrolled in the correct program.