Building Construction Management - Associate in Applied Science (AAS) (4510)
HACC now offers a fully online two-year associate degree in building construction management that prepares you for the growing demand in construction. Proudly YOURS, we are one of the only schools in the nation to offer this program fully online – and the only community college in Pennsylvania to provide the opportunity to complete the program online in two years.
According to the Associated General Contractors of America (AGC), construction employment has steadily increased during 2015, rising to the highest level since 2009.
The Associate in Applied Science (AAS) in Building Construction Management will prepare you for entry-level positions in the construction and contracting field as a quantity take-off technician and estimator, scheduler, supervisor and construction inspector. Get more information on how to become a Contractor here.
While a background in construction is helpful, it is not necessary. All you need is an interest in managing the construction process. After the building has been designed by the architect, the process of coordinating the construction process begins. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Safety planning
- Contract administration
- Construction Supervision
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach tool! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find out information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options. With just a few clicks, you can discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select, as well as average hourly wages, the number of individuals currently employed within that occupation, and the anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few! Click on the link and begin exploring today!
Upon completion of your two years in this program, you will acquire the general knowledge of the overall construction process. The curriculum is supported with general education course in the communications, humanities, sciences and mathematics. Upon graduating from the program, you should be able to:
- effective communication, both orally and in writing
- the ability to estimate quantities and costs for the bidding process in a construction project; schedule a basic construction project and use current technology related to the construction process
- Interpret construction documents (contracts, specifications and drawings) used in managing a construction project
- Apply basic principles of construction accounting
- Discuss basic surveying techniques used in building layout and basic principles of ethics in the construction industry
- Identify the fundamentals of contracts, codes, and regulations that govern a construction project
- basic construction methods, materials and equipment
- basic safety hazards on a construction site and standard prevention measures
- basic principles of structural design, mechanical, electrical and piping systems
- Discuss the application of principles of sustainability to construction
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
This program is designed to lead you directly into the workforce. Should you choose to transfer to a 4-year school, HACC has negotiated an agreement with Bloomsburg that will allow you to transfer with no loss of credits and complete a bachelor’s degree right here in Harrisburg. For other transfer options, check with your advisor or go to our Transfer Services Page.
|Bloomsburg University of PA:||Bachelor of Applied Science Technical Leadership (ONLINE & campus) (pdf)|
Anytime! We offer spring, summer and fall classes, and you can submit your application online. When you apply, please include the unique code for the Building Construction Management program. Including program code 4510 on your application ensures you apply to the correct HACC program.
To learn more about our program and your career opportunities, please contact the engineering, trades & computer technologies department chair, Kelley Engle, or an admissions counselor today! With HACC on your side, you’ll have the support you need to achieve your career goals.