Medical Coding Specialist Certificate - Non-Credit (0023)
Are you an analytical, detail-oriented person who would like to enter a rapidly growing medical profession?
In 11 months, our instructors will prepare you for the opportunity to earn more than $30,000 in this growing, and in-demand, occupation.
Once you complete our program, you will be able to find employment in the medical community that involves medical billing, coding, and claims processing. Various organizations in the community offer opportunities for employment including:
- Medical practices
- Nursing/Rehab facilities
- Coding and billing services
- Insurance companies
- Government agencies
- Consulting firms
As a Medical coding specialist, you are responsible for:
- Analyzing health records and assign codes for diseases and procedures
- Maintaining patients’ accounting records and carrying out collection procedures
- Researching and reviewing insurance claims
- Performing data entry payment information, adjustments and balances into computer software programs
- Abstracting key information from health records for reimbursement, statistics and research purposes
- Monitoring compliance with policies and procedures relevant to clinical data management and making suggestions for improvements
Prior to obtaining employment, you may be required to submit the following clearance requirements, at your own expense:
- ACT 33: Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance
- ACT 34: Request for Criminal Record Check - Pennsylvania State Police
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
Our training prepares you to be responsible for translating and sequencing medical documentation into formal, standardized, numerical codes for diagnoses and procedures. Medical coders support the billing process by coding and processing medical claims.
Our classes are designed to prepare you to:
- Code professional medical services and diagnosis
- Carry out collection procedures
- Create reports for management tools
- Research and review insurance claims
- Maintain patients’ financial and accounting records
- Perform data entry payment information, adjustments, and balances into computer software programs
- Analyze health records and assign codes for diseases and procedures
- Abstract key information from health records for reimbursement, statistics, and research purposes
- Research and review health records for auditing purposes
- Monitor compliance with policies and procedures relevant to clinical data management and making suggestions for improvements
- Take the American Association of Professional Coders (AAPC) exam (Once you have completed the program!)
Our certificate is designed to lead you directly into the workforce. However, once you are certified and working as a Medical Coding Specialist in the health care field, you may continue your education by enrolling into HACC's Health Science AAS degree and be awarded up to 30 credits in this 61-credit program.
When you complete your associate degree from HACC, you may continue furthering your educational goals by transferring to a four-year school to pursue a bachelor's degree!
For your convenience, you can complete the entire program at our Harrisburg, Lancaster, and Lebanon campuses, provided you take some of the required coursework through virtual learning.. Classes may also be available through Remote Learning instruction (Zoom).
Due to the coronavirus pandemic, please visit this webpage to review the most up-to-date details about how courses are being offered.
Yes! Through the HACC Foundation, there are scholarships available. Please visit hacc.edu/scholarships for details and deadlines..
You can complete spring, summer and fall classes at HACC and apply based on the class schedule. Please contact us using the information listed in the "How Can I Learn More" section.
We are passionate about providing a high-quality education and an opportunity for you to pursue your goals. Please contact our healthcare education office in the Workforce Development and Continuing Education/Healthcare Education Division at 717-221-1352.