Culinary Arts-Catering - Certificate (1261)
Do you have a passion for cooking or baking? Do you enjoy using your creativity to surprise others with delicious dishes and desserts? Are you looking for a fast-paced career that will allow you to pursue your passion?
If this fits your interests, the culinary arts and catering field could be the perfect path for you. Our Culinary Arts - Catering Certificate can help you hone your skills and turn your passion into a rewarding career. The certificate is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of the American Culinary Federation Education Foundation (ACEF) and graduates with an American Culinary Federation (ACF) membership are awarded Certified Culinarian (CC).
After receiving your culinary arts certificate, you’ll be ready to enter the workforce as a:
- Cook in a restaurant, institution or cafeteria
- Food preparation worker and server
While having a passion for cooking is crucial to your success, you should also:
- Enjoy working with others
- Be able to multitask and work well under pressure
- Possess a commitment to quality
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- What occupations are in demand within the region you select
- The number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- The anticipated number of job openings available — just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
We designed this program to lead directly to employment. You’ll learn about food preparation and service, catering principles, and management skills in the classroom and in on-campus labs. Under supervision, you’ll also prepare food and earn production industry experience at multiple off-campus commercial food and beverage operations that are open to the public and that involve both production and service rotations.
By completing our Culinary Arts Catering certificate, you will be able to:
- Apply industry sanitation and safety procedures
- Demonstrate foundational cooking techniques and knife skills
- Compose a complete meal including culinary and bakery items using standardized recipes
- Exhibit management skills in professionalism, employee relations, food and beverage service, catering principles, menu design, food purchasing and inventory
- Create working recipes based on developed flavor profiles, food costs and nutritional values
Our program is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of the American Culinary Federation Education Foundation (ACEF). Graduates with an American Culinary Federation membership are awarded Certified Culinarian (CC). Find more information about our graduation completion and job placement rates here.
Federal regulations require the College to disclose specific gainful employment information about this program. This link will provide you with information on completion rates and placement, program costs and median loan debt.
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
- Review our new academic maps (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
Our certificate is designed to lead you directly into the workforce. However, if you wish to continue your education, we encourage you to earn an associate degree at HACC!
When you complete your associate degree, you can continue and transfer credits to a four-year school.
You can complete the entire program at our Harrisburg Campus, and we offer all classes during the daytime. Conveniently YOURS, we also offer some classes in the evening on a rotating basis.
Due to the coronavirus pandemic, please visit this webpage to review the most up-to-date details about how courses are being offered.
We offer classes in the spring, summer and fall, and you can apply anytime online. When you submit your application, please include program code 1261. By using this code, you will apply to the correct program.