Computer Information Systems - Associate in Applied Science (AAS) (1796)
Do you enjoy working with computer software, hardware and networks? HACC’s Associate in Applied Science (AAS) in computer information systems (CIS) is your next step to pursuing your passion. This program allows you to choose between three concentrations: support specialist, database analyst and business intelligence application developer
Once you earn your two-year degree from HACC, you may pursue an entry-level position in a business, computer consulting firm, educational institutions, government agency or healthcare organization.
Often, students seeking this type of degree enjoy:
- Using computers and other electronic equipment
- Thinking critically and using logic
- Identifying problems and finding solutions
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Overall, our CIS professors will teach you how to work both individually and as a team member on computer projects. You have the choice to select from two concentrations: support specialist and the database analyst. Each concentration leads to different occupations in the computer technology field. We can help you choose a concentration that best matches your goals.
The concentrations designed to prepare students to:
- Work individually and as team members on computer projects
- Write and speak effectively
- Support specialist: Graduates can find careers as computer operators, help-desk analysts and technical support specialists. In our program, you will learn how to:
- Manage and troubleshoot computer software, hardware and networks
- Operate a help-desk support system
- Database analyst: Graduates can seek employment as database administrators, analysts and modelers. We will help you develop the ability to:
- Manage database management systems
- Develop a database system through an entire life-cycle
All students must participate in a capstone experience prior to graduation. The capstone experience allows you to apply YOUR skills and complete an electronic portfolio.
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
Yes! While the associate degree in computer information systems is designed to lead directly to employment, it is designed to be flexible enough to transfer to a variety of colleges and universities with no loss of credit. Each individual college has its own unique program. We encourage you to select a four-year school as soon as possible. This will allow you to learn the transfer college’s program requirements so you can take the proper classes at HACC.
Below is a list of potential colleges and universities in which you can transfer:
|Albright College -Degree Completion Program:||General Program Course Equivalencies (pdf)|
You can complete the entire CIS program at our Harrisburg Campus by taking some courses through Virtual Learning. The support specialist concentration can be completed at the Lancster and York campuses by taking courses through Virtual Learning. The database analyst concentration can be completed through Virtual Learning.
Conveniently YOURS, you can take classes in the spring, summer and fall. Apply today or anytime by visiting our website. Please use program code 1796 when submitting your application. The code is unique to this program and will ensure you enroll in the correct program.