Nurse - LPN
Learn about our 4-semester Practical Nursing Certificate program (LPN) and apply for clinicals. Upon completion with your valid PA LPN license, transfer immediately to our RN program. You will take 4 additional nursing and 4 general education courses. The programs are completely stackable!
All potential nursing students begin in the Pre-Health Professions Program. Students may apply for admission into the Registered Nursing Program or Practical Nursing Program once they meet the requirements to apply. Students will discuss these admission requirements as part of their advising process.
Apply for Clinicals
Link to the Fall 2022 Harrisburg, Lancaster, and York clinical application (via SurveyMonkey.com) - https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/LPN_Fall_22
To be eligible to apply:
- You must have taken the TEAS and scored 60 or higher
- You must have the TEAS score sent to HACC (campus and program don't make a difference)
- You must have an overall GPA 2.5 by the first day of the first clinical class.
- You must submit a high school transcript, complete with graduation date - Verification of High School Graduation Requirement (pdf)
- Highest TEAS score as of the application date is used in point calculation. You may submit ONE application for each application cycle
- Download Admission Criteria and Essential Qualifications (pdf) - contains all dates and deadlines.
Learn more about the TEAS test here. Includes link to the ATI website to register, remote proctoring, contact information, study groups and TEAS information sessions.
- The TEAS test will be updated to Version 7 June 2022.
- For the 2022 application cycle: Either the Version 6 or Version 7 will be accepted.
- Beginning in fall of 2023 ONLY Version 7 tests will be accepted.
How to meet with a HACC advisor - https://www.hacc.edu/Students/AdvisingCounseling/index.cfm
Nursing Information Sessions - Please plan to attend (or view the YouTube) before applying for clinicals
Sessions tend to last about 2 hours - one hour presentation followed by a question/answer period. Sessions are a general overview and information is given regarding programs and admissions for all campuses.
- Nursing careers
- HACC's programs
- Time commitment
- Essential Qualifications/Background Checks/Health Forms
- Application process
NURSING Information Sessions - All sessions via Zoom. ALLOW AT LEAST 2 HOURS!
RSVP required. After RSVP'ing, students will receive details on how to connect to Zoom. Please login before session is scheduled to begin. WHEN YOU RSVP, be sure to include your name, HACCID and the date and time you wish to attend.
OR View the 2-17-22 YouTube information session presented by Mark Lieb, MSN, RN, Director of Harrisburg Campus nursing programs - 1:49 hours - https://youtu.be/YCJ99h9rWno
|Date||Time||Director||Email for RSVP (RSVP is required)|
What does a practical nurse (LPN) do?
- Work under the direction of a physician, or registered nurse.
- Meet the basic needs of patients. These include feeding, bathing, dressing, assisting with personal hygiene and emotional care.
- Administer medications.
Learn more about a career in practical nursing (Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational)
Where do LPNs work?
LPNs can work in a variety of settings. These include:
- Long-term care facilities and rehabilitation centers
- Outpatient clinics and doctors' offices
- Home Health
- Outpatient surgical centers
How much does the program cost?
Download Estimated Expenses (pdf) for a list of expenses.
What degree will I earn? Will I be eligible for credentials?
Upon successful completion you will:
- Receive a Practical Nursing Certificate of Completion
- Be eligible to sit for the LPN licensure exam (NCLEX-LPN®) administered by the State Board of Nursing.
What are the required courses and what is the suggested schedule? How long does the program take to complete? Where are the clinical classes held?
- Download a list of required courses/suggested schedule (pdf)
- HACC holds practical nursing clinical courses at the Harrisburg, Lancaster and York campuses. Prerequisite courses are offered at other campuses and sites.
- The program is offered full-time during the day and the clinical component takes four semesters - Fall, Spring, Summer and Fall.
What are the program clinical admission criteria and how do I apply for clinicals?
- Admission to HACC does not guarantee admission to the clinical component of the program. All potential nursing students begin in the Pre-Health Professions Program. Students may apply for admission into the Registered Nursing Program or Practical Nursing Program once they meet the requirements to apply. Students will discuss these admission requirements as part of their advising process.
- You are required to meet with a Health Careers advisor and complete general education courses before applying for the clinical portion.
- Attend a nursing information session!
- Download Admission Criteria and Essential Qualifications (pdf).
- Apply for clinicals - see information at the top of this page.
- Download High School Graduation Verification Information (pdf)
Is the program accredited?
- The Practical Nursing Program at Harrisburg Area Community College (HACC, Central Pennsylvania’s Community College), located at ONE HACC Drive, Harrisburg PA 17110-2999 is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN), 3390 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 1400 Atlanta, GA 30326 (Phone: 404-975-5000), www.acenursing.org
- This program was initially accredited in May of 1991.
- The most recent accreditation decision made by the ACEN Board of Commissioners (September 2019) for the Practical Nursing program is Continuing Accreditation.
- This program was initially accredited in May of 1991.
You may view the public information disclosed by the ACEN regarding this program at http://www.acenursing.us/accreditedprograms/programSearch.htm
- View the disclosure statement for ACEN
Can I advance my education in this field?
- You can pursue HACC's Health Science associates degree.
- HACC has a Transitional LPN program which offers advanced standing in the RN program to those LPNs who qualify and want to pursue an associate degree in nursing.
What is the most current program student achievement data? (NCLEX Pass Rates, Completion Rates and End of Program Outcomes Data) (pdf)
How can I get more information?
- Download the Nursing Student Handbook (pdf) (includes dosage calculation requirements)
- Visit Careeronestop for salary and job outlook statistics. Find career videos and licensing requirements.
- Visit the National Association for Practical Nurse Education and Service, Inc. (NAPNES)
- Visit allnurses.com
- Visit Careers for Nurses
- Visit the Accreditation Commission for Nursing Education (ACEN) .
- Visit the PA State Board of Nursing
- HACC-approved credential evaluation service (pdf)
Practical Nursing Program, Harrisburg Campus
Select Medical Health Education Pavilion (SMHEP), Room 204
One HACC Drive
Harrisburg, PA 17110
Practical Nursing Program, Lancaster Campus
Main Building, Room 215
1641 Old Philadelphia Pike
Lancaster, PA 17602
Practical Nursing Program Office, York Campus
Leader Building, Room 136
2010 Pennsylvania Avenue
York, PA 17404