Nurse - LPN
Learn about our Practical Nursing Certificate program (LPN) (3456P) and apply for clinicals.
Apply for clinicals - link to the Fall 2020 Harrisburg and Lancaster clinical application (via SurveyMonkey.com) will be here spring 2020. You must have taken the TEAS (overall (composite/percentage) score 60 or higher) and have an overall GPA 2.5 or above to apply. Highest TEAS score as of the application date is used in point calculation. You may submit ONE application for each application cycle. You may apply for both the RN and LPN programs.
The Nursing Programs at HACC have found it necessary to re-evaluate and adjust the current admission criteria and program requirements for both the Associate Degree Nursing (RN) Program and for the Practical Nursing (PN) Program. Upon careful evaluation and assessment of data, changes have been implemented effective with the admission cycles listed on the attached. Click on this link to view full letter including new admission criteria.
If you have any questions please contact your advisor.
Download clinical application information and deadlines - Admission Criteria and Essential Qualifications (pdf).
Download TEAS information (pdf)
Download HARRISBURG CAMPUS TEAS prep academic coaching flyer (pdf)
Download GETTYSBURG CAMPUS TEAS Prep Workshops (pdf) See the flier for workshop dates.
Download LANCASTER CAMPUS TEAS Prep Workshops (pdf) See the flyer for workshop dates.
Join a workshop to:
- Review ATI TEAS test sections
- types of questions in each section
- time allowances per section
- Review test prep strategies and resources
- Learn test day strategies
Nursing Information Sessions
Get answers to all your nursing questions and hear about the following. Sessions tend to last about 2 hours - one hour presentation followed by a question/answer period.
- Nursing careers
- HACC's programs
- Time commitment
- Essential Qualifications/Background Checks/Health Forms
- Application process
|Check back for dates||RSVP to Patsy Lavinia - email@example.com - be sure to include your name, HACCID and the date and time you wish to attend.|
|Check back for dates||RSVP to Aziza Kasmi - firstname.lastname@example.org - be sure to include your name, HACCID, email, phone number and the date and time you wish to attend.|
What does a practical nurse (LPN) do?
- Work under the direction of a physician, or registered nurse.
- Meet the basic needs of patients. These include feeding, bathing, dressing, assisting with personal hygiene and emotional care.
- Administer medications.
Learn more about a career in practical nursing (Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational)
Where do LPNs work?
LPNs can work in a variety of settings. These include:
- Long-term care facilities and rehabilitation centers
- Outpatient clinics and doctors' offices
- Home Health
- Outpatient surgical centers
How much does the program cost?
Download Estimated Expenses (pdf) for a list of expenses.
What degree will I earn? Will I be eligible for credentials?
Upon successful completion you will:
- Receive a Practical Nursing Certificate of Completion
- Be eligible to sit for the LPN licensure exam (NCLEX-LPN®) administered by the State Board of Nursing.
What are the required courses and what is the suggested schedule? How long does the program take to complete? Where are the clinical classes held?
- Download a list of required courses/suggested schedule (pdf)
- HACC holds practical nursing clinical courses at the Harrisburg and Lancaster campuses. Prerequisite courses are offered at other campuses and sites.
- The program is offered full-time during the day and the clinical component takes three semesters - Spring, Summer and Fall.
What are the program clinical admission criteria and how do I apply for clinicals?
- Admission to HACC does not guarantee admission to the clinical component of the program. You begin as a pre-nursing student and work closely with your advisor to prepare to apply to the clinical/core component.
- You are required to meet with a Health Careers advisor and complete general education courses before applying for the clinical portion.
- Download Admission Criteria and Essential Qualifications (pdf, rev 3/23/16).
- Apply for clinicals - link to the Fall Harrisburg and Lancaster clinical application (via SurveyMonkey.com) will be here Spring 2020. You must have taken the TEAS (overall score 60 or higher) and have an overall GPA 2.5 or above to apply. Highest TEAS score as of the application date is used in point calculation. You may submit ONE application for each application cycle. You may apply for both the LPN and RN programs.
- Download Nursing High School Graduation Requirement (pdf, 10/3/11)
Is the program accredited?
The program is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN)
3343 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 850
Atlanta, Georgia 30326
Can I advance my education in this field?
- You can pursue HACC's Health Science associates degree.
- HACC has a Transitional LPN program which offers advanced standing in the RN program to those LPNs who qualify and want to pursue an associate degree in nursing.
What is the most current program effectiveness data?
NCLEX-PN Overall First Time Pass Rate:
- Oct. 1, 2017 - Sept. 30, 2018: 100%
- Oct. 1, 2016 - Sept. 30, 2017: 96.77%
- Oct. 1, 2015 - Sept. 30, 2016: 92.65%
- Oct. 1, 2014 - Sept. 30, 2015: 93.8%
NCLEX-PN First Time Pass Rate:
- Class of December 2018: 100%
- Class of December 2017: 100%
- Class of December 2016: 98%
Program Completion Rate:
- Class of December 2018: TBD
- Job Placement: TBD
- Class of December 2017: 58.2%
- Job Placement: 100%
- Class of December 2016: 58%
- Job Placement: 100%
- Class of December 2015: 73%
- Class of December 2014: 81%
How can I get more information?
- Download the Nursing Student Handbook 2016-2017 (pdf) (includes dosage calculation requirements)
- Visit Career Infonet for salary and job outlook statistics. Find career videos and licensing requirements.
- Visit the National Association for Practical Nurse Education and Service, Inc. (NAPNES) .
- Visit allnurses.com .
- Visit Careers for Nurses .
- Visit the Accreditation Commission for Nursing Education (ACEN) .
- Visit the PA State Board of Nursing .
- HACC-approved credential evaluation service (pdf)
Practical Nursing Program, Harrisburg Campus
Select Medical Health Education Pavilion (SMHEP), Room 204
One HACC Drive
Harrisburg, PA 17110
Practical Nursing Program, Lancaster Campus
Main Building, Room 215
1641 Old Philadelphia Pike
Lancaster, PA 17602