Physician Office Assistant Certificate - Non-Credit (0028)
Do you have great customer service skills? Are you interested in clerical work?
Let us help you develop the skills you need to find a position as a physician office assistant.
Our 228-hour certificate prepares you to sit for the Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA) certfication exam.
Physician office assistants work in the front of primary and specialty medical practices and contact call centers. Job duties may include:
- Provide friendly customer service to patients
- Answer phone calls
- Collect payments
- Handle patients’ medical insurance and electronic medical records
- Prepare schedules
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
You will learn how an outpatient medical practice works and handles the everyday duties related to patients’ records, scheduling and more. The classes will incorporate critical thinking skills, customer service activities and generational and cultural diversity where appropriate.
Our course is designed to prepare you to:
- Discuss the United States heath care delivery system
- Recognize the fundamental principles of healthcare law and ethics including HIPAA and ACT 13
- Demonstrate methods of communication that improve interpersonal relations, as applied to patients, peers, supervisors, and other healthcare team members
- Define medical terminology
- Explain the different methods of capturing and recording EHR data
- Compare and contrast various types of electronic health record computers, such as workstation, laptop, tablet/PC
- Describe the different types of telephone calls a medical professional may handle
- Explain the proper protocol for answering the telephone in a medical facility and list all the information that should be documented the phone messages
- Discuss meeting planning considerations, agendas, and various methodology for holding meetings, such as teleconferences
Our course prepares you to sit for the Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA) certification exam administered through the National Healthcare Association (NHA).
Yes! Through the HACC Foundation, scholarships are available. Please visit hacc.edu/scholarships for details and deadlines.
You can complete spring, summer and fall classes at HACC. Please use the information listed in the "How Can I Learn More" section to find out about start dates and enrollment deadlines.