Pharmacy Technician Program - Non-Credit (0009)
Compassionately YOURS, HACC is your pathway to becoming a pharmacy technician. If you have an interest in helping patients with prescriptions and describe yourself as detail-oriented and a team player, this may be a good fit. Let us help you pursue your goal in this seven-month program
A pharmacy technician performs various duties under direct supervision of a pharmacist. You may:
- Accept and screen medication orders
- Maintain drug inventory
- Maintain patient records
- Perform insurance billing
- Prepare admixtures and compounding medications
- Prepare labels and medications
Pharmacy technicians may work in:
- Extended-care facilities
- Home healthcare agencies
- Hospital pharmacies
- Mail-order pharmacy distributors
- Retail pharmacies
Additional resources include:
- American Association of Pharmacy Technicians
- Career Infonet
- National Pharmacy Technician Association
- Pennsylvania Pharmacists Association
- Pharmacy Technician Certification Board
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
Over the course of seven months, you will learn how to:
- Maintain drug inventory quality and levels
- Participate in quality control processes
- Understand the compounding and dispensing of pharmaceutical preparations
- Understand the preparation of admixtures
- Listen to what students in the program say!
Additionally, you will be prepared to take the national certification examination administered by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB).
Prior to taking the national certification exam or obtaining employment, you may be required to submit the ACT 151: Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance and ACT 34: Request for Criminal Record Check - Pennsylvania State Police.
Veterans may be eligible for education benefits for this program. The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) determines and approves benefits job-training healthcare programs that result in a certificate upon completion. The VA bases benefits on the length of the class and the number of weekly clock hours. The VA provides benefits on a post-payment basis. You must pay tuition in advance. For more information, please contact our Military and Veterans Affairs Office at 717-780-2331.
Upon completing your certificate, you can continue your education and earn an associate degree at HACC! Our healthcare programs, among others, may be of interest.
When you complete your associate degree, you can transfer credits to a four-year school.
Yes! Through the HACC Foundation, there are scholarships available. Please visit hacc.edu/scholarships for details and deadlines.
The classes are offered in January and June depending on the location. Please use the information below to contact our office for start dates and application deadlines.
At this time there are no current pharmacy technician classes scheduled. If you are interested in future offerings, please contact Jackie Foster, firstname.lastname@example.org.