Medical Billing & Coding Specialist Certificate: Non-Credit (0023)
Are you an analytical, detail-oriented person who would like to enter a rapidly growing medical profession?
In 12 months, our instructors will prepare you for the opportunity to earn more than $30,000 in this growing, and in-demand, occupation.
What can I do with this in the workforce?
Medical billing and coding specialists are responsible for:
- Analyzing health records and assign codes for diseases and procedures
- Maintaining patients’ accounting records and carrying out collection procedures
- Researching and reviewing insurance claims
- Performing data entry payment information, adjustments and balances into computer software programs
- Abstracting key information from health records for reimbursement, statistics and research purposes
- Monitoring compliance with policies and procedures relevant to clinical data management and making suggestions for improvements
You may work in:
- Coding and billing services
- Consulting firms
- Government agencies
- Insurance companies
- Medical practices
- Nursing/rehab facilities
Prior to obtaining employment, you may be required to submit the following clearance requirements, at your own expense:
- ACT 33: Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance
- ACT 34: Request for Criminal Record Check - Pennsylvania State Police
What is the average salary?
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
What is HACC’s program like?
Our program includes online classes, but the majority of the instruction is at the campus in the evenings.
Our classes are designed to prepare you to:
- Abstract key information from health records for reimbursement, statistics and research purposes
- Analyze health records and assign codes for diseases and procedures
- Carry out collection procedures
- Code professional medical services and diagnosis
- Create reports for management tools
- Maintain patients financial and accounting records
- Monitor compliance with policies and procedures relevant to clinical data management and making suggestions for improvements
- Perform data entry payment information, adjustments and balances into computer software programs
- Research and review health records for auditing purposes
- Research and review insurance claims
Once you’ve completed the program, you are eligible to:
- Take the Commission on Certification for Health Informatics and Information Management (CCHIIM) Certified Coding Associate, Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) and Certified Coding Specialist – Physician-based (CCS-P) exams
- Take the American Association of Professional Coders (AAPC) Certified Professional Biller (CPB™) and Certified Professional Coder (CPC™) exams
What classes will I take?
We encourage you to:
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
Can I transfer my credits to a four-year college or university?
Upon completing your certificate, you can continue your education and earn an associate degree at HACC!
When you complete your associate degree, you can transfer credits to a four-year school.
Where can I complete this program?
For your convenience, you can complete the entire program at our Harrisburg, Lancaster and Lebanon campuses. Some of the program’s prerequisite courses may be available at our York Campus and through Virtual Learning.
Does HACC offer scholarships?
Yes! Through the HACC Foundation, there are scholarships available. Please visit hacc.edu/scholarships for details and deadlines..
When can I apply?
You can complete spring, summer and fall classes at HACC and apply based on the class schedule. Please contact us using the information below.
How can I learn more?
We are passionate about providing a high-quality education and an opportunity for you to pursue your goals. Please contact our healthcare education office in the Workforce Development and Continuing Education Division at 717-221-1352.