Fire Science Technology - Certificate (6260)
Do you enjoy working as part of a team that makes an impact on the community? Do you enjoy serving others, physical activity, and the camaraderie of other like-minded individuals? If so, job opportunities within the fire and emergency services areas are growing and can be highly rewarding. HACC's Fire Science Technology certificate can help ignite your career options in 21st century fire service. Whether you're looking to explore a new career in the fire and emergency services field or expand your existing promotional opportunities, our certificate is designed to provide you with technical and professional skills you need to achieve your goals!
Graduates of our certificate are able to find employment in municipal fire departments, governments, insurance, business and industrial settings as:
- Fire Fighters
- Fire Safety Specialists
- Industrial Safety Specialists
- Plan Reviewers
- Codes Enforcement Officers
If you're an experienced fire fighter, our certificate can help prepare you for more specific positions, such as:
- Fire Administrators
Explore your career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing from your education to the job market. With Career Coach you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a varierty of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region that you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available - just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
Our certificate is designed to provide you with the technical and professional knowledge necessary to make decisions regarding fire protection for both the public and private sectors. Our curriculum allows you to gain a solid foundation for continuous higher learning in fire protection, administration and management and follows the U.S. Fire Administration/National Fire Academy's Fire and Emergency Services Higher Education Model for Professional Development.
In addition, you have the option to compete our certificate through Virtual Learning. This is ideally suited for individuals who need flexible schedules or who are already employed or volunteer within the fire and emergency service field. The curriculum is delivered in a flexible format with lectures, training videos and class communications.
After successfully completing the certificate, you will be prepared to:
- identify the requirements of various fire protection environments and operate the equipment related to those environments
- Recognize the prevention and suppression of hazards by means of building inspections, hazard descriptions and the application of safety codes
- Explain the operations of fire extinguishing and warning systems
- Conduct fire investigations
- Manage a fire protection organization through effective use of manpower and equipment
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
- Review our new academic maps (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
Although our certificate is designed to lead you directly into the workforce, you may continue your studies by applying the credits earned from this program towards the completion of our Fire Science Technology AAS degree.
Yes! Through the HACC Foundation, there are approximately 200 scholarships available. Please visit hacc.edu/scholarships for details and deadlines.
You may complete spring, summer and fall classes at HACC. Submit your application anytime by visiting our website. When you submit your application, make sure to include the specific program code 6260. By using this code, you will ensure that you are applying to correct program.
Whether you are looking to start a new career in the fire science and emergency services area or wish to expand your opportunities within this field, we are passionate about providing you with a high-quality education. Our Fire Science Technology certificate can be the first step you take towards reaching your goals. Please don't hesitate to contact an admissions counselor, or Dr. Kelley Engle, the engineering, trades & computer technologies department chair, to request more information.