Baking and Pastry Arts - Certificate (1321)
If you love the art and science of creating a beautiful cake or pastry, a career in the baking and pastry arts could be the perfect fit for you. If you are interested in the little details that result in the tastiest breads and desserts, our Baking and Pastry Arts certificate can give you the foundation you need to succeed in this industry.
After completing our curriculum and receiving your certificate, we can help you prepare for a rewarding, baking-related career. Our program is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of the American Culinary Federation Education Foundation (ACFEF).
When you graduate from our Baking and Pastry Arts certificate, you will be ready to find employment in retail or wholesale as a baker, pastry chef or assistant.
Being a baker also requires certain traits. The profession might be a good fit for you if you are:
- Able to work long hours, typically in the early morning
- Hardworking and willing to put the work in to hone your craft
- Creative with a passion for the culinary arts
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- What occupations are in demand within the region you select
- The number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- The anticipated number of job openings available — just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
By earning your Baking and Pastry Arts certificate from HACC, you will be ready to become a professional baker or pastry chef. Watch this video for a glimpse into HACC’s culinary programs.
Throughout the program, you will prepare and produce cakes, pies and other baked goods. You will have the opportunity to work with doughs, icings and other pastry-making ingredients.
Not only will you get specific training in pastry making, but you will also learn the fundamentals:
- Baking principles
- Small business management
- Visual merchandising
You will also have the opportunity to gain hands-on experience working in a commercial operation for 12-hours a week where you will be introduced to various bakeshop production and retail rotations. Also, our internship course allow you the opportunity to gain employment working in an approved bakery worksite for 280-hours a semester.
Graduates of this certificate who possess an American Culinary Federation (ACF) membership are awarded Certified Pastry Culinarian (CPC).
As you complete our certificate, you will:
- Use mathematical techniques to make accurate adjustments in bakeshop formulas and percentages
- Apply industry sanitation and safety procedures
- Follow the correct procedures and successfully prepare quick breads, cookies, brownies, pies and tarts and yeast doughs, including lean, enriched and laminated
- Follow the correct procedures and successfully prepare custards and curds, meringues, cakes and frostings, mousses and Bavarians, chocolate confections, sugar candies, frozen desserts, and decorating procedures with icings, fondant, gum paste and marzipan
- Exhibit management skills in professionalism, employee relations, food purchasing, inventory, and cost analysis
- Analyze nutritional values in recipes and adjust ingredients based on specific dietary concerns
You can complete the entire program only at our Harrisburg Campus provided you take some of your required coursework through multiple modalities (e.g. Blended, Online and/or Remote Learning).
Conveniently YOURS, we offer classes in the spring, summer and fall. You can apply anytime. Visit our website and submit your application, along with program code 1321. By using this code, you will ensure you apply to the correct one.