Advanced Emergency Medical Technician Certificate - Non-Credit (0026)
Are you an emergency medical technician (EMT) looking to increase your skills for your job?
Academically YOURS, we can help you gain more skills to advance in your career.
Public and private organizations including EMS agencies and fire departments typically employ advanced emergency medical technicians.
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
Our course is 220 hours, which you can complete in four months.
Classes are on-site, as well as through Virtual Learning. Through classroom lecture and discussion, online content, lab sessions and clinical experiences, you will gain the knowledge and skills in accordance with the National Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Educational standards for an AEMT. You are required to complete clinical hours in a hospital’s Emergency Department and EMS agencies.
We build on your knowledge and abilities as an EMT and introduce you to the cognitive and psychomotor competencies required to function as an entry-level AEMT.
Our course is designed to prepare you to:
- Rapidly assess injuries and illnesses
- Provide appropriate care to patients based upon assessment findings
- Administer cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and utilize both manual and automated defibrillators
- Describe the indications, contraindications, dosage and route of administration for identified medications
- Identify and treat shock
- Control external hemorrhage
- Provide care of musculoskeletal injuries
- Manage various medical emergencies
- Properly lift and move patients
- Demonstrate competency in both basic and advanced airway management and trauma treatment techniques as determined by the National EMS education standards
- Determine the most appropriate method to transport patients to the emergency department
Once you complete the course, you are eligible to attend a Pennsylvania Department of Health/National Registry of EMT’s AEMT psychomotor exam and complete the National Registry of EMT’s AEMT certification exam.
Yes! Through the HACC Foundation, scholarships are available. Please visit hacc.edu/scholarships for details and deadlines.
You can complete spring, summer and fall classes at HACC. Please use the information listed in the "How Can I Learn More" section to find out about start dates and enrollment deadlines.