Pre-Hospital Registered Nurse (PHRN) Certificate - Non-Credit (0027)
Are you a registered nurse looking to advance in your career? We can help you through our 328-hour program that prepares you to become an advanced level Emergency Medical Services (EMS) provider.
PHRNs find jobs within public and private organizations
- Ambulance companies
- Air medical services, or
- Critical care transport providers.
PHRNs function in a similar capacity as paramedics and their type of patient care experience can provide valuable insight in both academic and clinical components of other specialty areas of nursing.
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
Our program is an introduction to EMS, while teaching you the overall roles and responsibilities of the PHRN. Your nursing education and clinical experiences are very helpful as you learn how to assess injuries and illnesses and handle different situations. You will learn through class discussion, lectures, practical application in lab sessions, clinical experience with EMS services and competency testing.
Our program is designed to prepare you to:
- Rapidly assess injuries and illnesses
- Provide appropriate care to patients based upon assessment findings
- Administer cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and utilize both manual and automated defibrillators
- Describe the indications, contraindications, dosage and route of administration for identified medications
- Identify and treat shock
- Control external hemorrhage
- Provide care of musculoskeletal injuries
- Manage various medical emergencies
- Properly lift and move patients
- Demonstrate competency in both basic and advanced airway management and trauma treatment techniques
- Determine the most appropriate method to transport patients to the emergency department
- Successfully complete the requirements for Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS), Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS), International Trauma Life Support (ITLS), and Emergency Vehicle Driver Training (EVDT)
Once you complete the program, you are eligible to attend a Pennsylvania Department of Health/National Registry of EMT’s psychomotor exam and complete the National Registry of EMT’s Paramedic Assessment exam.
For your convenience, you can complete your classes at our Harrisburg Campus.
Yes! Through the HACC Foundation, scholarships are available. Please visit hacc.edu/scholarships for details and deadlines
You can complete spring, summer and fall classes at HACC. Please use the information below to contact us to learn start dates and enrollment deadlines.
We are passionate about providing a high-quality education and an opportunity for you to pursue your goals. Please contact the EMS unit at the Senator John J. Shumaker Public Safety Center (PSC) at 717-780-2458 for more information.