Medical Assistant Certificate - Non-Credit (0018)
Are you ready for a rewarding career in healthcare in six months or less? Get a jumpstart on YOUR Medical Assisting career with this comprehensive, fast-paced program. Our program prepares you for a rewarding career as a Medical Assistant and helps you to sit for the National Healthcare Association’s Certified Clinical Medical Assistant Certification examination.
You will be prepared to enter the workforce as a Medical Assistant within
- physicians’ offices
- outpatient clinics
- other healthcare facilities.
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
Our Medical Assistant certificate prepares you to enter the workforce as Medical Assistant and sit fo the National Healthcare Association’s Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA) certification exam, an industry-recognized certification. (Exam cost is included in tuition.)
This certificate includes 336 hours (nine courses and two labs) of classroom/lab instruction and concludes with a 160-hour, unpaid clinical/externship experience. .
Our part-time, evening program can be completed in approximately eight months (depending upon clinical site availability) attending class four evenings a week, the full-time, day program can be completed in approximately five months attending classes four-days a week.
Upon successful completion of the course the student will be able to:
- Define and correctly spell medical terminology as it relates to anatomy and physiology, pathophysiology and diagnostic testing
- Describe the functions of the principle body systems including anatomy and physiology
- Review the concepts, etiology, symptoms and treatments of most common disorders and diseases
- State the essential qualifications of a successful Medical Assistant in the Ambulatory Care Setting, including professionalism, communication, healthcare law and ethics, cultural diversity and safety in the workplace
- Demonstrate competency to perform contemporary office medical laboratory services, including venipuncture and basic specimen interpretation
- Identify medication classifications, drug actions and interactions, administration of medication principles and competencies and measurement and dosage calculations
- Define necessary clinical procedures for the Ambulatory Care Setting and perform and pass competencies related to skills such as vital signs, performance of an EKG, assisting in minor office surgery, patient interview, preparation and assistance during an examination, wound care, emergencies in the office and leadership
- Describe the importance of effective revenue cycle management, assign CPT and ICD-10 codes per official guidelines and the explanation of their purpose for reimbursement
- Perform administrative duties related to scheduling, billing, coding, finance practice, healthcare information management and leadership
- Participate in an externship to define the role of the medical assistant in a real world clinical setting, complete and pass competencies, shadow an experienced Medical Assistant in the Ambulatory Care Setting and work closely with a preceptor to improve and refine skills
This certificate is designed to lead you directly into the workforce. However, once you are certified and working in the healthcare field as a Medical Assistant, you may then continue your education by enrolling into HACC’s Health Science Associate in Applied Science degree in which you can be awarded up to 30 credits towards this 61-credit program.
Due to the coronavirus pandemic, please visit this webpage to review the most up-to-date details about how courses are being offered.
Yes! Through the HACC Foundation, there are approximately 200 scholarships available. Please visit hacc.edu/scholarships for details and deadlines.
You can complete spring, summer and fall classes at HACC. Please use the information listed in the "How Can I Learn More" section to contact us to learn start dates and enrollment deadlines.