Carpentry: Diploma (0590)
Do you enjoy working with your hands, using different tools and building things? Are you bored with working in the same work environment day after day? If this describes you and you consider yourself to have strong mechanical and math skills, consider a career in carpentry.
Our Carpentry Diploma Program can be the first step to excelling in the construction business.
What can I do with this in the workforce?
Once you receive your diploma, you may find yourself in the construction industry as a:
- Construction carpenter
- Form carpenter (layout, measure and cut materials to build forms for pouring concrete)
- Entry-level foreman responsible for a construction crew
What is the average salary?
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
What is HACC’s program like?
You will receive comprehensive training in construction carpentry and learn a variety of techniques and concepts to ensure safety and success. The areas that you will study include:
- Blueprint reading
- Building materials with a focus on their application
- Finishes, including roofs, windows, doors, floors and walls
- Hand power tools
- Interior and exterior construction
You will learn how to:
- Describe the construction trade and its diversity of disciplines, technologies and employment opportunities
- Demonstrate a variety of technical skills in the carpentry field
- Apply safety standards and practices on the job
- Use trade-specific hand and power tools and equipment
- Read and interpret blueprints and construction specifications
- Perform basic cost estimating
- Utilize building materials appropriately
- Demonstrate techniques in building construction to include concrete, interior and exterior applications
Federal regulations require that the College disclose specific gainful employment information about our program. This link will provide you with information on completion rates and placement, program costs and median loan debt.
What classes will I take?
We encourage you to:
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
Can I transfer my credits to a four-year college or university?
Our diploma program is designed to lead you directly into the workforce. However, if you wish to continue your education, we encourage you to explore our full list of programs.
When you complete your associate degree, you can continue and transfer credits to a four-year school.
Where can I complete this program?
Does HACC offer scholarships?
Yes! Through the HACC Foundation, there are scholarships available. Please visit hacc.edu/scholarships for details and deadlines.
When can I apply?
You can enroll in the spring, summer and fall. Apply online anytime by visiting our website. When you submit your application, be sure to include program code 0590. This unique code confirms that you’re applying for the correct program.
How can I learn more?
If becoming a carpenter is your goal, we will help you to achieve it. As YOUR educational partner, we can help you begin your career or advance it. Contact an admissions counselor or the interim department chair of industrial technology Michelle Myers. You may also request more information online.