Linnie S. Carter, Ph.D., APR
Vice President of College Advancement, HACC, Central Pennsylvania's Community College
Executive Director, HACC Foundation
How long have you been a part of the HACC Foundation Board?
I have been a part of the HACC Foundation Board since March 2012.
Which HACC campus location do you represent?
I represent and serve all five HACC campuses.
How long have you lived in the area?
I have lived in the area since March 2012.
Why did you decide to become a member of the HACC Foundation Board?
I became a member of the HACC Foundation Board when I accepted my current position at HACC. I accepted my position for three reasons:
- HACC's excellent reputation in the community college world
- The wonderful experience my husband and I had when we attended Dr. Ski's inauguration in October 2011
- Dr. Ski, who is a remarkable leader
What is your professional background, including current employer and position?
Previously, I was the vice president of institutional advancement at Halifax Community College in North Carolina; vice president of college advancement at then-Lord Fairfax Community College (now named Laurel Ridge Community College); and director of institutional advancement at John Tyler Community College, also in Virginia. I served as executive director of the foundations at each of these institutions.
In addition, I was an assistant professor of public relations at North Carolina A&T State University and adjunct faculty member in the School of Mass Communications at Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU).
I earned a Ph.D. in community college leadership in 2009 from Old Dominion University in Norfolk, Va. Also, I have a master's degree in mass communications and a bachelor's degree in mass communications, both from VCU. I earned the prestigious Accredited in Public Relations (APR) designation in 2000 from the Public Relations Society of America.
What do you enjoy the most about being a member of the HACC Foundation Board?
I most enjoy changing students' lives, getting to know donors and why they choose to give to the HACC Foundation and planning for the future.
What are your hobbies and interests?
Favorite philanthropic causes: Higher education, scholarships and youth
- Personal goals: Write a book, serve as a corporate chief of staff and start a mentoring program for girls
- Hobbies: Read, watch crime TV shows (Law and Order, NCIS and Criminal Minds) and spend time with family and friends (especially my husband, Kevin)
- Favorite authors: Eric Jerome Dickey and Danielle Steel