Below is information on the Dental Hygiene Associate Degree program (349P) -Harrisburg Campus.
What is a dental hygienist?
A dental hygienist is qualified by education and licensure to provide:
- Patient assessment - including reviewing health history, recording vital signs, radiographic examination, and charting
- Treatment planning
- Patient education
- Administration of local anesthesia
- Removal of deposits and stains from teeth
- Placement of sealants
What are the required courses?
Download a list of Required Courses , which includes a suggested schedule (pdf, rev 5/12).
How do I apply for clinicals?
This is a highly competitive and selective program. To learn more about required qualifications:
- HACC requires you to meet with a Health Careers advisor and complete general education courses before applying for the clinical portion.
- The clinical application is available using Survey Monkey Jan. 15 through Feb. 15 (check back for link).
- Download Admission Criteria, Point System and Essential Qualifications (pdf, rev 7/3/14).
- Download the Competencies for Entry into the Profession of Dental Hygiene (pdf).
- Attend a dental hygiene program mandatory application session - Oct. 8, 20, Nov. 12, 17 (pdf). Nov. 17 session still has some space. All others are full.
Where does HACC hold Classes?
- The complete program is available only at the Harrisburg Campus.
- HACC offers some required courses at other campuses and sites.
How much does the program cost?
Download the Estimated Expenses (pdf, rev 5/14).
Who accredits the program?
The Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association ( CODA ) accredits the program.
- Learn about HACC's Dental Treatment Facility .
- Download the Program Mission Statement (pdf).
- Download the Program Faculty and Staff (pdf).
dental hygiene program mandatory application session - October 8, 20, November 12, 17 (pdf).
- The National Dental Hygiene Board exam. This exam:
- Is a 350-question multiple-choice test.
- Is taken at a computerized site after you graduate from the program.
- The American Board of Dental Examiners, Inc. (ADEX) Dental Hygiene exam. This exam:
- Is administered by the Northeast Regional Board (NERB).
- Has two parts:
- A clinical exam on a live patient taken during the last clinical semester
- Computer Simulated Clinic Exam (CSCE) taken at a Pro-Metric Test Center. This portion is a 100-question multiple-choice test.
Where can I work?
Graduates have found employment opportunities as clinicians, educators and public health advocates.
How can I advance my education?
Where can I get more information?
Who can I contact for more information?
(717) 780-1988 or 800-222-4222, ext. 211988
Dental Hygiene Program Office
Select Medical Health Education Pavilion (SMHEP), Room 104
HACC Harrisburg Campus
1 HACC Drive
Harrisburg, PA 17110
(717) 780-2490 ext. 212490
Mail clinical program addendum to the above address Attention: DH Secretary.