Automotive Technology: Certificate (4200)
ATTENTION: This program has been inactivated by the department for Fall 2018 and will no longer be available for new student enrollments. Interested new students should consider reviewing the Automotive Service Advisor Certificate, new Fall 2018.
Does the idea of working in a rapidly changing field in which you must continually keep up with new technology interest you? If so, a career in the automotive service industry may be for you! Today’s vehicles are integrated with electronic systems and complex emissions controls that regulate every part of a vehicle and technicians must have an increasingly broad knowledge of how these systems work and interact with each other.
Let our Automotive Technology Certificate Program be YOUR starting point. Our program is accredited in eight categories of automotive repair by the National Automotive Technician Education Foundation (NATEF), a division of the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence
What can I do with this in the workforce?
After graduating from our program, you will be ready to work in the automotive industry as a service technician.
Our program may be ideal if you:
- Enjoy working on cars and are good with your hands
- Describe yourself as mechanically inclined
- Communicate well with others
- Enjoy ever-changing technology and solving problems
- Have interest in career development and/or moving into management
What is the average salary?
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
What is HACC’s program like?
Our selective program is ideal for high school graduates, career and technical graduates and individuals working in the industry. Since the program is selective, your admission into the College does not guarantee you’ll be enrolled into this program.
You must meet specific requirements for this program, such as earn a passing grade on a mechanical aptitude test and have a valid Pennsylvania driver’s license.
If you graduated from an auto-mechanics program at a career and technical school or have substantial work experience, you may receive up to nine credits toward your certificate. You must submit proper documentation to receive these credits.
After graduating from our program, you will be able to:
- Complete the Pennsylvania State Emissions Inspector and Safety Inspection License examinations
- Work as service technicians in automotive repair facilities or dealerships
Additionally, you will have the opportunity to complete the ASE (National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence) student test series and a 480-hour co-operative work experience at an approved automotive repair facility.
Federal regulations require that the College disclose specific gainful employment information about our program. This link will provide you with information on completion rates and placement, program costs and median loan debt.
What classes will I take?
We encourage you to:
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
Can I transfer my credits to a four-year college or university?
Our certificate program is designed to lead you directly into the workforce. However, if you wish to continue your education, we encourage you to enroll in our associate degree in automotive technology. We can prepare you for a management position in the field.
When you complete your associate degree, you can continue and transfer credits to a four-year school.
Where can I complete this program?
Does HACC offer scholarships?
Yes! Through the HACC Foundation, there are scholarships available. Please visit hacc.edu/scholarships for details and deadlines.
When can I apply?
We offer classes in the spring, summer and fall, and you can apply anytime by visiting our website to submit your application. Please include program code 4200 with your application. This code ensures you’re applying to the correct program.
How can I learn more?
Whether you have questions about the requirements of this program or want to schedule an appointment, please contact an admissions counselor or department chair Kelley Engle. You may also request more information online.