Future students header

State Residency Change

HACC students living in Pennsylvania enjoy lower tuition rates than out-of-state students.

Am I considered a state resident?

To qualify for in-state tuition rates as a Pennsylvania resident, you must meet the criteria set forth in the Pennsylvania Code –35.29b, Commonwealth Residency.

To be considered a resident of Pennsylvania, you must meet one of the following:

  • You are a US Citizen.
  • You are a permanent resident or a non-citizen with an eligible immigrant status.


  • You have resided in the state of Pennsylvania for a period of 12 months prior to the start of the enrolled term.

Or you may be eligible for in-state tuition if you meet one of the following:

  • You are a government employee or civilian in government services residing in Pennsylvania.
  • You are military personnel or a dependent, as defined in Pennsylvania Code, Title 24, Education, Chapter 3, stationed in Pennsylvania.
  • You are a dependent of a resident of Pennsylvania.

How do I change my state residency classification?

There are multiple steps to changing your state residency. You must:

  1. File a petition (pdf) with the Welcome Center at your campus.
  1. Include supporting documentation or convincing evidence. HACC prefers two types of documentation:
    • Proof you are leasing or purchased a permanent, independent residence in Pennsylvania.
    • Proof you are paying appropriate state and local taxes. 

What if I can't provide the preferred type of documentation?

If you cannot provide the preferred documents, contact the campus Welcome Center. We can help you determine which combination of documents you need to submit with your petition. These documents include:

  1. Proof that you have transfer of bank accounts, stock, automobiles and other registered property. The transfer is to PA from another state.
  2. A Pennsylvania driver's license
  3. A Pennsylvania motor vehicle registration
  4. An agreement for permanent, full-time employment in Pennsylvania
  5. A membership in Pennsylvania social, civic, political, athletic and religious organizations
  6. A Pennsylvania's voter registration
  7. A sworn statement declaring your intention to make Pennsylvania your residence. Your intent is either permanent or for an indefinite period of time.
  8. If you are a minor, your parent's or guardian's sworn statement declaring your intention to make Pennsylvania your residence.

Is my non-immigrant visa enough proof?

A non-immigrant visa is not proof of intent of to reside in Pennsylvania

Also, many non-immigrant visa types do not qualify for state residency:

  • B-1 temporary visitor for business
  • B-2 temporary visitor for pleasure
  • C-1 alien in transit directly through the U.S.
  • C-1D combined transit and crewman visa
  • C-2 alien in transit to United Nations headquarters district under Section 11 (3), (4), or (5) of headquarters agreement
  • C-3 foreign government official, members of immediate family, attendant, servant or personal employee, in transit
  • C-4 transit without visa
  • D-1 crew member departing on same vessel of arrival
  • D-2 crew member departing by means of other vessel than arrival
  • F-1 student in academic or language program
  • F-2 spouse or child of F-1 student
  • H-2A temporary agricultural worker
  • H-2B temporary worker: skilled or unskilled
  • H-3 trainee
  • J-1 exchange visitor
  • J-2 spouse or child of J-1
  • K-1* fiancée or fiancé of U.S. citizen
  • K-2* minor child of K-1
  • K-3* spouse of a U.S. Citizen (LIFE Act)
  • K-4* child of K-3
  • M-1 vocational Student or other non-academic student
  • M-2 spouse or child of M-1
  • Q-1 international cultural exchange visitors
  • Q-2 Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training program (Walsh Visas)
  • Q-3 spouse or child of Q-1 or Q-2
  • S-5 informant of criminal organization information
  • S-6 informant of terrorism information
  • TD2* spouse or child accompanying TN
  • TN1* professionals from Canada or Mexico who enter the U.S. under the NAFTA agreements
  • TPS temporary protected status
  • TWOV passenger
  • TWOV crew
  • Undocumented
  • WB/WT waived (includes spouse or child of visa-holder)


When is my petition for residency reclassification due?

You must submit your petition prior to the end of the third week of the semester. You cannot make state residency changes retroactively.

How does HACC review my petition?

HACC reviews each petition independently and the decision will be based on the supporting documentation.

Can I appeal if the petition is denied?

You can appeal the decision by contacting the director of your campus Welcome Center.

Can HACC change my residency classification without my approval?

HACC can change your residency classification without your request if the College believes you are no longer a resident of Pennsylvania.

Do I need to change my state residency classification?

HACC requires a state residency change if:

  • You change your residence from Pennsylvania to another state.
  • Your visa changes to a non-immigrant type.

What if I don't agree with HACC's decision?

You can submit a written appeal to the Secretary of Education. The Secretary of Education's decision is final.

Send your written appeal to:

Office of the Secretary of Education

333 Market Street

Harrisburg, PA 17126-0333