Diagnostic Medical Sonographer
Learn more about our Diagnostic Medical Sonography Associate in Applied Science Degree program.
What does a diagnostic medical sonographer do?
- Acquire ultrasound images of various parts of the body to aid physicians in the diagnosis of medical conditions
- Present an analysis of the ultrasound image to the physician
- Communicates effectively with the patient and staff
Learn more about the career (Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonography - SDMS -website).
Where do sonographers work?
New graduates will most likely find employment in hospital imaging departments.
How much does the program cost?
Download Estimated Expenses (pdf).
What degree will I earn? Will I be eligible for credentials?
- Upon successful completion you will earn a Diagnostic Medical Sonography Associate in Applied Science degree.
- HACC requires students to sit for the ARDMS credentialing exams. The exams consist of:
- Sonography Principles and Instrumentation
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- You can earn the title of Registered Diagnostic Medical Sonographer (RDMS) after successful completion of the exams and graduation.
What are the required courses and what is the suggested schedule? How long does the program take to complete? Where are the clinicals held?
- Download a list of Course requirements/suggested schedule (pdf)
- HACC assigns clinical rotations within 85 miles of the Harrisburg campus.
- The typical clinical rotation is 7:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- DMS classes are held at the Harrisburg Campus. Prerequisite courses are offered at other campuses and sites.
- Students will be busy five days a week with lecture, lab and clinical rotations.
What are the program clinical admission criteria and how do I apply for clinicals?
- Admission to HACC does not guarantee admission to the clinical component of the program. You begin as a pre-clinical student and work closely with your advisor to prepare to apply to the clinical/core component.
- Download Admission Criteria and Essential Qualifications (pdf)
- If you are a pre-DMS student, you are required to meet with Julia Imboden, the Program Director, who will guide you through the application process. Call 717-221-1392 to schedule your appointment.
- Attend an information session during your first semester at HACC - Preregistration required - email firstname.lastname@example.org - include your name, HACCID, phone number and email address and indicate DMS information session. Space is limited!
- 2018 dates:Tuesday, Feb. 6, 9-11 am, Select Medical Room 107; Wednesday, March 7, 11 am-1 pm, Select Medical Room 103; Thursday, April 5, 2-4 pm, Select Medical Room 103; Wednesday, May 2, 11 am-1 pm, Select Medical Room 103; Monday, June 4, 1-3 pm, Select Medical Room 103.
- Complete the clinical application online using Survey Monkey - link will be posted here spring 2018.
Is the program accredited?
The DMS program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP)
25400 U.S. Highway 19 North, Suite 158
Clearwater, FL 33763
Can I advance my education in this field?
- This program leads directly to an occupation.
- Enroll in HACC's Vascular Sonography courses.
- Franklin University offers a BS in Healthcare Management.
- Shippensburg University offers a BS in Healthcare Administration.
- Immaculata University offers an accelerated BA in Health Care Management. They offer classes in accelerated format at HACC's Lancaster Campus.
- Misericordia offers a BS in Diagnostic Medical Sonography.
What are the program goals?
The diagnostic medical sonography program prepares students to:
- be competent entry-level medical sonographers
- demonstrate the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills) and affective (behavior) learning domains of diagnostic medical sonography
What is the most current (2016) program effectiveness data?
- Five-year program completion rate —81%
- Program performance on national board exam (five years) —98 %
- Job placement (5 years) —(students actively seeking employment) 100 %
Where can I get more information?
- Download the Frequently Asked Questions (pdf, rev 6/2015).
- Watch the SDMS Career Video
- Visit other sites:
Who can I contact for more information?
Please contact an Admissions Counselor, by phone at 800-ABC-HACC, or by email at email@example.com
DMS Program Office:
HACC Harrisburg Campus
Blocker Hall 101
One HACC Drive
Harrisburg, PA 17110