Social Services: Transfer Associate (5060)
What can I do with this in the workforce?
Our program is designed to guide you toward furthering your education after HACC. Though, if you choose to find a job after completing your associate degree, you may obtain a position as a social or human services assistant and work directly with clients.
You are most likely to succeed in this position if you:
- Are reliable, responsible, self-motivated and organized
- Work well under pressure and with people of all ages and backgrounds
- Communicate well verbally and in writing
If you choose to continue your education after HACC, you are able to pursue a bachelor’s degree in a variety of social services, such as mental health, intellectual disabilities, substance abuse, gerontology, women’s services and family services.
What is the average salary?
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
What is HACC’s program like?
We give you the necessary training and education you need to secure positions in a number of social services fields as social or human service assistants. We teach you how to work with people facing problems in living their lives in an ethical manner. You will receive the foundation you need to transfer to a four-year school and pursue your bachelor’s degree in areas, such as:
- Mental health
- Mental retardation
- Substance abuse
- Women’s services
- Family services
During your time at HACC, you are required to take an Introduction to Human Services course that provides an overview of the career opportunities available in the social services or human services fields. This will help you make an informed choice for the direction you wish to pursue.
Additionally, you will complete HUMS 215 - Field Work Practicum in which you will volunteer in a community agency. This will allow you to take the theory you learn and apply it to actual practice. Prior to enrolling in the course, you will need to complete the following background checks:
- Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance
- FBI Criminal Background Check
- State Police Criminal Record Check
You will engage with professors who will teach you to:
- Take advanced academic work at a four-year institution in one of the helping professions
- Conduct interviews for purposes of gathering information, assessment and development of service plans
- Work effectively with clients and their families to plan treatment or service
- Write effective contact notes, social histories and maintain client files
- Make referrals and facilitate clients moving through the social service system
- Recognize the characteristics of racially and culturally diverse populations
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with clients and their families
- Perform case management responsibilities in a variety of settings
- Discuss the ethics and laws applicable to the human service field
- Write and speak effectively
- Appreciate accomplishments in the arts and sciences
For the specific requirements, Student Handbook, and Field Work Practicum Handbook, please visit the health careers Social Services web page.
What classes will I take?
We encourage you to:
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
Can I transfer my credits to a four-year college or university?
Yes! Affordably YOURS, our associate degree is a transfer program and it’s designed to be flexible enough to transfer to a wide variety of four-year colleges and universities with no loss of credit. If your intended transfer school participates in Pennsylvania’s statewide college credit transfer system, you will be able to begin at that school as a junior. Our programs also transfer well to schools outside of the statewide system. However, each individual college has its own unique program. Therefore, we encourage you to select a four-year school as soon as possible. This will allow you to learn the transfer college’s program requirements so you can take the proper classes at HACC.
Browse our various transfer options:
|Bloomsburg University of PA:||Social Services into Social Work PASSHE Statewide Articulation Agreement (pdf)
|California University of Pennsylvania:||Social Services into Social Work PASSHE Statewide Articulation Agreement (pdf)
|Carlow College Online & Campus:||Social Services into Liberal Studies PASSHE Statewide Articulation Agreement (pdf)
|Drexel University:||Behavioral Health Counseling (pdf)
|East Stroudsburg University of PA:||Social Services into Social Work PASSHE Statewide Articulation Agreement (pdf)
|Elizabethtown College -Accelerated Degree Program:||Social Services into Human Services Generalist (pdf)
|Elizabethtown College -Accelerated Degree Program:||Social Services into Human Services Behavioral and Addictons Counseling (pdf)
|Kutztown University of PA:||Social Services into Social Work PASSHE Statewide Articulation Agreement (pdf)
|Lincoln University:||Social Services into Human Services PASSHE Statewide Articulation Agreement (pdf)
|Lock Haven University of PA:||Social Services into Social Work PASSHE Statewide Articulation Agreement (pdf)
|Mansfield University of PA:||Social Services into Social Work PASSHE Statewide Articulation Agreement (pdf)
|Mc Daniel College:||Social Services into BSW (pdf)
|Millersville University of PA:||Millersville University Social Services into Social Work Transfer Guide (pdf)
|Saint Francis University:||Social Services into Social Work PASSHE Statewide Articulation Agreement (pdf)
|Shippensburg University of PA:||Shippensburg University Transfer Guide -Social Services into Social Work BSW (pdf)
|Stevenson University:||Social Services into Family and Community Services (pdf)
|Upper Iowa University Distance Education Online:||Social Services into Human Services (ONLINE) (pdf)
|West Chester University of PA:||Social Services into Social Work PASSHE Statewide Articulation Agreement (pdf)
Where can I complete this program?
Does HACC offer scholarships?
Yes! Thanks to the HACC Foundation, scholarships are available. Please visit hacc.edu/scholarships to learn how you can apply.
When can I apply?
Our classes are offered in the spring, summer and fall, and you can apply anytime. When you submit your application, please include program code 5060 to ensure you apply to your intended program.
How can I learn more?