Nurse Aide Training Program
Learn more about our nurse aide course offered statewide. Successful completion of this course prepares you to take the Pennsylvania Nurse Aide Competency Exam and enroll in the Nurse Aide registry for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Contact the nurse aide training office:
NATP@hacc.edu, 717-221-1352 or 800-222-4222 ext. 211352.
When and where are the classes held?
HACC offers on-site training at numerous locations throughout Pennsylvania.
- Download the Central listing for Adams, Cumberland, Dauphin and York counties (pdf).
- Download the North listing for Clinton, Lycoming, Mifflin, Montour, Northumberland and Perry counties (pdf).
- Download the South Central listing for Lancaster and Lebanon counties (pdf).
- Download the Information Packet (pdf). It includes general information, admission criteria, essential qualifications, registration form and health form.
How do I register for the class?
- Contact the nurse aide training office: NATP@hacc.edu, 717-221-1352 or 800-222-4222 ext. 211352
- Download the Information Packet (pdf). It includes a registration form.
What do nurse aides do?Nurse aides (NAs, direct care workers) perform various duties under the supervision of a nurse. They:
- Provide care and assist clients who cannot care for themselves
- Measure and record vital signs
- Assist clients with bathing, dressing, feeding, toileting
- Care for clients with catheters
- Provide range of motion exercises
- Transport clients in wheelchairs, make beds
- Provide infection control and safety awareness
- Provide post-mortem care
Where do nurse aides work?
Nurse aides can work in a variety of settings. These include:
- Nursing homes
- Personal care homes
- Home health
How much does the program cost?
The program costs $898. This includes books.
Can I receive veterans education benefits for this program?The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA):
- determines benefits.
- approves veterans' education benefits for non-credit healthcare programs. These programs must result in a certificate upon completion.
- bases benefits on the length of the class and the number of weekly clock hours.
- provides benefits on a post-payment basis. You must pay tuition in advance.
What degree will I earn? Will I be eligible for credentials?
Upon successful completion, you will:
- earn a Certificate of Completion
- be prepared to take the National Nurse Aide Assessment Program (NNAAP) exam (administered by Pearson Vue)
- You must be at least 16 to take this exam.
How long does the program take to complete? Where are the classes held?
- HACC offers on-site training at numerous locations throughout Pennsylvania.
- It is an intense 120-hour training program. It can take 17 days to 29 evenings to complete based on which class you choose.
- Attendance during the first 24 hours of class are mandatory (or the student will be immediately dismissed). After the first 24 class hours, missed time must be made up.
- Students must complete the full 120 hours and score at least 75% on each written exam to receive the certificate of completion
- Recommended study time is 30 minutes for every hour of class. Expect to study for 3.5 hours the evening after a 7-hour class day.
What are the program admission criteria?
- This is a non-credit course. You are not required to submit a college application, school transcripts or placement testing results.
- Download the Information Packet (pdf, rev 8/2014). It includes admission criteria, essential qualifications, registration form and health form and recommended timeline.
- Download and submit a completed Nurse Aide Health Examination Form (also in the Information Packet above) (pdf, rev 7/23/14).
- Obtain a two-step tuberculin test (PPD) (See instructions in the Information Packet).
- Obtain a Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check. (See instructions in the Information Packet.)
- If you have not been a resident of Pennsylvania for the past two consecutive
or have been convicted in another
(no matter how many years ago)
of any of the offenses listed on the Prohibitive Offense List, you must complete
and obtain a
FBI report in addition to the PA State Police background check.
- Download Procedure For Obtaining an FBI Report (pdf, rev 7/23/14).
- Download the Nurse Aide Prohibitive Offenses and Forms (pdf, rev 7/28/14). (Includes Verification of PA Residency & Attestation of Compliance with Act 14)
- No student will be admitted or retained in the program with a disqualifying result.
- Contact the Nurse Aide Training Program office, NATP@hacc.edu 717-221-1352 or 800-222-4222 ext. 211352.
- HACC does not require it, but many facilities require employees to be 18 years old and have a high school diploma or GED.
Is the program accredited?
The Nurse Aide Training Program is approved by the PA Department of Education.
How can I get more information?
- Download the Information Packet (pdf, rev 8/2014). It includes information, admission criteria, essential qualifications, registration form and health form.
- Visit Career InfoNet for salary and job outlook statistics, career videos and licensing requirements.
- Visit the PA Department of Health for nurse aide registry exam information.
Who can I contact for more information?
Nurse Aide Training Program
717-221-1352 or 800-222-4222 ext. 211352
(Formerly Community Center for Technology and Arts)
1523 North Fourth Street
Harrisburg, PA 17102
View directions from Harrisburg Campus (Google Maps).