Medical Laboratory Technician
Learn about our Medical Laboratory Technician program:
- Associate Degree Program (358P) —Harrisburg
- Certificate Program (326P) —Harrisburg —Bachelor's degree in science required
What is a medical laboratory technician?
A medical laboratory technician has various duties. You will:
- Search for basic clues to the absence, presence, extent and causes of diseases.
- Provide data to help physicians determine the best treatment for patients.
- Often not be personally involved with patients
- Use sophisticated instruments, technology and techniques
- Evaluate test results for accuracy and help interpret them for physicians
Do I qualify for the program?
This is a selective program. Admission to the college does not guarantee admission to clinicals. You will begin as a pre-medical lab tech student.
- A bachelor's degree in science to apply to the certificate program. It is not required for the associate degree program.
- A meeting with the Program Director is required to apply to the clinical/core component of the program
Download the Admission Criteria and Essential Qualifications (pdf).
Where does HACC hold classes?
The complete program is available at the Harrisburg Campus. HACC offers required courses at other campuses and sites.
What are the required courses?
Download a list of Required Courses (pdf, rev 2/14). It includes information on both programs. It also includes the time commitment.
What are the additional expenses?
Download the Estimated Expenses (pdf).
Who accredits the program?
NAACLS accredits the program. Contact NAACLS:
5600 N River Rd
Rosemont, IL 60018-5119
How do I apply for clinicals?
Clinical application for Spring 2017 using Survey Monkey - http://www.surveymonkey.com/r/MLT_APP . Deadline to apply is July 31.
How can I find more information?
Download the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) (pdf).
What degree will I earn? Will I be eligible for credentials?
You will earn an Associate of Arts after successful completion of the medical laboratory technician associate degree program.
You will be prepared to earn your certification after successful completion of the medical laboratory technician certificate program.
As a program graduate, you can take the following certification exams:
Who can I contact for more information?
Medical Lab Tech Program Office
HACC Harrisburg Campus
Select Medical Health Education Building (SMHEP), Room 114
One HACC Drive Harrisburg, PA 17110