Architectural Technology: Associate in Applied Science (AAS) (4470)
Are you an analytical person and have an interest in the technical aspects of buildings? Do you have a keen eye for details and a desire to work with computers and construction blueprints? Then, our Associate in Applied Science (AAS) in architectural technology is your first step to a position in the architecture and construction fields.
What can I do with this in the workforce?
After completing your associate degree, you may find employment as a computer-aided design (CAD) operator or building information modeling (BIM) operator. You will be ready to enter positions that involve the preparation of construction documents for a wide variety of building types in architecture, design-build, construction and interior design firms. You also may work as a:
- Code researcher
- Construction supervisor
- Facility planner
- Interior designer
Those who enjoy this profession, demonstrate these characteristics.
- Holds a love for drawing and working with computers
- Describes him or herself as a self-motivated individual
- Can be a team player
- Works well under pressure
- Thinks about how small parts combine to form a larger picture
- Possesses solid analytical and problem-solving skills
What is the average salary?
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
What is HACC’s program like?
Our highly trained instructors will share their real-world experiences and train you in:
- Building Information Modeling (BIM) software
- How to apply codes when preparing architectural construction documents.
- Structural, mechanical and electrical construction documents as well as
- Architectural presentation drawings
As you complete our program, you will:
- Conceptualize the technical requirements of an architectural project and prepare preliminary, design development and working drawings using CAD and BIM software
- Explain mechanical, electrical and structural systems and their integration into the building process
- Explain construction materials, systems and methods used in architectural construction
- Use a computer in an architectural office or related setting
- Assist in building code research
- Write and speak effectively
- Appreciate accomplishments in the arts and sciences
Additionally, you have the option to complete an internship to gain experience and land your first job!
What classes will I take?
We encourage you to:
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
Can I transfer my credits to a four-year college or university?
While this program is designed to lead you directly to employment, you can transfer your credits to a four-year school. Our two-year programs are flexible enough to transfer to a wide variety of colleges and universities with no loss of credit. However, each individual college has its own unique program. We encourage you to select a four-year school as soon as possible. This will allow you to learn the transfer college’s program requirements so that you can take the proper classes at HACC.
Your transfer options include:
|Bloomsburg University of PA:||Bachelor of Applied Science Technical Leadership (ONLINE & campus) (pdf)
|Siena Heights University Online:||Architectural Technology into Bachelor Degree Applied Science (ONLINE) (pdf)
Where can I complete this program?
You can complete the entire program at our Harrisburg Campus.
Does HACC offer scholarships?
Yes! Through the HACC Foundation, there are scholarships available. Please visit hacc.edu/scholarships for details and deadlines.
When can I apply?
We offer classes in the spring, summer and fall, and you can apply online anytime. When you submit your application, please include program code 4470 to ensure you apply to the correct program.
How can I learn more?