Surgical Technology: Career Associate (3620)
If you pay close attention to details, enjoy being part of a team, have strong technical skills and possess solid communication skills, consider a career as a surgical technologist. Surgical technologists play a vital role in the operating room! Hear what our alumni and faculty think about our Surgical Technology Program by watching this video.
What can I do with this in the workforce?
We can lay the foundation for an enriching career that allows you to play a vital role in caring for others. When you graduate with your Associate in Science in surgical technology, you are qualified to enter the healthcare field as a surgical technologist working in:
- Hospital operating rooms
- Obstetric units
- Outpatient surgery centers
This could be the ideal program if you:
- Have a passion for helping others
- Consider yourself a team player
- Are thorough with details
- Demonstrate solid communication skills
- Work well under pressure and can adapt easily to changes
What is the average salary?
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
What is HACC’s program like?
Our program offers you the opportunity to gain clinical experience in a supervised environment so that you can develop the surgical skills you need. You will learn how to help care for patients in the operating room and become a key member of a surgical team. You will apply theoretical knowledge when you care for patients undergoing surgery.
Throughout our program, you will develop skills to:
- Assist surgeons during operations
- Maintain aseptic conditions
- Prepare supplies, equipment and instruments
- Prepare patients for surgery
Upon graduating from our program, you will be prepared to:
- Identify the roles and responsibilities of all surgical team members
- Demonstrate the ability to anticipate the needs of surgical patients by properly preparing the operating room suite, equipment and instrumentation required for surgical interventions
- Display empathy for surgical patients and their significant others
- Demonstrate a professional demeanor when communicating with patients and fellow team members
- Demonstrate a surgical conscience
- Participate as an effective member of the surgical team throughout the preoperative, intraoperative and immediate postoperative periods
- Write and speak effectively
- Appreciate accomplishments in the arts and sciences
In addition, our students take the National Board for Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA) National Examination for the Certified Surgical Technologist prior to graduation. It is a graduation requirement to take the exam. We are proud to say that we have had a 100-percent pass rate on the exam for the last five years.
Our Surgical Technology Program is selective, which means there are entrance requirements that go beyond the requirements for your standard application. We encourage you to visit the health careers section of our website or email us for more information about these entrance requirements.
Before you can begin the clinical portion of the program, you need to complete the following components at your own expense:
- Physical examination and immunizations
- Background checks
- Drug and alcohol screens
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certification
Our program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP), which is based upon the recommendation of the Accreditation Review Committee on Education in Surgical Technology.
What classes will I take?
We encourage you to:
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
Can I transfer my credits to a four-year college or university?
Yes! Although our Surgical Technology Program is designed to lead you directly into the workforce, transfer opportunities are available if you wish to further your education. Our programs are designed to be flexible enough to transfer to a wide variety of colleges and universities with no loss of credit. However, each individual college has its own unique program. We encourage you to select a four-year school as soon as possible as this will allow you to learn the transfer college’s program requirements. This will allow you to take the proper courses at HACC.
Your transfer options include:
|Bloomsburg University of PA:||Bachelor of Applied Science Technical Leadership (ONLINE & campus) (pdf)
|Siena Heights University Online:||Surgical Technology into Bachelor Degree Applied Science (ONLINE) (pdf)
Where can I complete this program?
We offer the complete program at our Harrisburg Campus.
Does HACC offer scholarships?
Yes! Thanks to the HACC Foundation, scholarships are available. Please visit hacc.edu/scholarships to learn how you can apply.
When can I apply?
Classes are offered in the spring, summer and fall, and you can apply anytime by visiting our website.
When applying to this program, you must enroll in the non-clinical component of the program first. Please make sure to include program code 362P on your application. This program-specific code ensures that you have applied to the correct one.
How can I learn more?
We are ready to answer your questions and welcome you to HACC! For more information about this associate degree, please contact an admissions counselor, visit the health careers section of our website or email us.