Harrisburg Promise students participate in college-preparedness workshops and mentoring. The monthly workshops are opportunities for students to learn about topics that will prepare them for college life after high school. In addition, the students are paired with mentors to discuss their current academic situations and how this program will help them prepare for postsecondary education.
We need volunteers in order to offer exceptional mentoring and workshop opportunities.
By volunteering, YOU are helping to create a positive and productive learning environment for the students. All volunteers will be required to have a background check and child abuse clearance.
The volunteer opportunities include:
- Mentorships - Mentors will meet with students to encourage and support them in the following areas: goal setting, homework help, tutoring and community service projects. This commitment typically requires meeting the student once a month for one hour from 3:15-4:15 p.m. Workshop
- Volunteers - Monthly workshops focus around a lesson that will help the students throughout their academic and personal lives. To keep the workshops running smoothly, we are in need of volunteers in the following areas:
- Chaperones will interact and engage students during the presentation, help serve dinner and act as campus escorts. This commitment is typically once a month for one hour from 4:30-5:30 p.m.
- Facilitators create and deliver 45-minute presentations on topics such as career exploration, communication skills, decision making, self-awareness or industry-specific information. This commitment typically requires time to develop curriculum and 45-minute facilitation time.
If you are interested, please contact:
Melinda Fraker de Fonte
Assistant Director - Corporate and Business Services
Workforce Development and Continuing Education
HACC, Central Pennsylvania’s Community College
One HACC Drive, Harrisburg, PA 17110
The Harrisburg Promise is supported by the top executives at HACC, the City of Harrisburg and the Harrisburg Housing Authority. The Harrisburg School and Steelton-Highspire School Districts partner to recruit students for the program.
Additional partners are being recruited to assist with the Harrisburg Promise and provide additional services. Students are supported with mentoring and college preparation assistance.
The HACC Foundation has a goal of raising $150,000 by 2020 for the Harrisburg Promise Scholarship. Finances should never be a barrier to education.
Donors interested in contributing to the Harrisburg Promise Scholarship should:
- Make their checks payable to “HACC Foundation”
- Write “Harrisburg Promise Scholarship” on the memo line
- Mail the checks to: HACC Foundation, One HACC Drive, Harrisburg, PA 17110
Donors may also contribute online: www.hacc.edu/waystogive.
All contributions are tax-deductible.
If you have any questions or need additional information, please let us know. Thank you!