Paying For School

Financial Aid and Your Grades

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) is the term used to define successful completion of coursework to maintain eligibility for student financial aid. Federal regulations require the Office of Financial Aid Services to monitor your progress towards completion of your program. If you do not meet these standards, you will be placed on financial aid probation or suspension.

The three (3) separate measures for Satisfactory Academic Progress are:

1.  Academic Probation/Suspension
This is monitored through the College’s Office of Student Records and determines whether or not students may continue to attend HACC. This is not the same as the Office of Financial Aid Services' monitoring of progress.

2.  Academic Progress
For Federal Student Aid This is monitored through the College’s Office of Financial Aid Services. Generally, students must complete at least 67% of all credits they attempt and maintain an acceptable Grade Point Average (GPA) as determined by the College. For specific requirements see SAP criteria (pdf).

3.  Academic Progress
For PHEAA State Grant Program The PHEAA State Grant Agency has its own criteria for measuring a student's academic progress and it applies ONLY to the PHEAA State Grant funds. Generally, for every full time PHEAA State Grant that a student receives, they must successfully complete at least 12 credits. For every part time State Grant a student must complete at least six (6) credits. For specific information see PHEAA State Grant Progress (pdf).