Our innovative professors teach a wide array of fundamental art classes and you can view their professional work here
. After completing the classes in our program, you will accomplish the different types of art pieces you need to create a portfolio for admission into a four-year school. See galleries of dynamic HACC student work here
. As you complete our program, you will:
- Create two- and three-dimensional work effectively using the elements and principles of art and design
- Use color theory effectively
- Draw from observation including life studies
- Demonstrate skills in a variety of techniques and materials
- Demonstrate knowledge of how cultural, political, social and gender issues have affected the creation of art within a historical context
- Use art and design terminology effectively during critiques and discussions of visual images and objects
- Develop creative processes and research methods
- Use current technology as applied to the arts
The National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD) accredits HACC’s Art program. The U.S. Department of Education recognizes NASAD as a specialized accrediting agency for schools of art and design. NASAD’s major responsibility is the accreditation of education programs in art and design including the establishment of curricular standards and guidelines for specific degrees and credentials. The peer review process of accreditation is the only way to gain institutional membership.
HACC has an exciting line-up of national and international art, design and photography exhibits, lectures and workshops each academic year. Visit the Rose Lehrman Arts Gallery for more information on the latest events.
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
Affordably YOURS, our two-year degree program is a transfer program. We designed our programs to be flexible enough to transfer to a wide variety of four-year colleges and universities with no loss of credit. If your intended transfer school participates in Pennsylvania’s statewide college credit transfer system, you will be able to begin at the junior level. Our programs also transfer well to schools outside of the statewide system. However, each individual college has its own unique program. We encourage you to select a four-year school as soon as possible. This will allow you to learn the transfer college’s program requirements so you can take the proper classes at HACC.
Our various transfer options include:
You can complete the entire Art program at HACC’s Harrisburg
Yes! The HACC Foundation
offers approximately 200 scholarships
. We encourage you to view the eligibility requirements at hacc.edu/scholarships
You can enroll in HACC classes for the spring, summer and fall. To apply, visit our website and submit your application anytime. Please include program code 2130 with your application. The code will designate the Art program, so you apply for the correct one.
The Art program at HACC is full of talented, creative students, and we want to help you develop YOUR passion. To learn more about our associate degree and artistic opportunities, please contact Brenda Eppley at firstname.lastname@example.org, interim department chair, or an admissions counselor to request more information. We are eager to answer your questions and help you enroll in our program.
“Through the art classrooms at HACC, students are able to tell their stories, express themselves. It also allows us to see ourselves and our own community through a different lens.” – Alyssa Feather, MFA, art faculty member