Our program will give you a foundation in multiple areas of art and provide you with the opportunity to develop a portfolio to use when applying to transfer to four-year schools. After completing your associate degree and creating various types of art pieces, you can work towards a bachelor’s degree in:
- Digital Media
- Fine Arts
- Graphic and Interactive Design
- Specialty Areas
Based on your interests, you may choose to specialize in ceramics, jewelry, painting, drawing, printmaking, art history, sculpture and more. If you are interested in transferring your credits to a specialized program at a four-year school so you can pursue an artistic endeavor, HACC will help you develop the skills you need. The Art program is ideal for students who:
- Tell stories and express ideas through visual media
- Enjoy drawing, painting and hands-on creative work
- Think creatively and value the thought behind a piece of art
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
Our innovative professors teach a wide array of fundamental art classes and you can view their professional work here. After completing the classes in our program, you will accomplish the different types of art pieces you need to create a portfolio for admission into a four-year school. See galleries of dynamic HACC student work here. As you complete our program, you will:
- Create two- and three-dimensional work effectively using the elements and principles of art and design
- Use color theory effectively
- Draw from observation including life studies
- Demonstrate skills in a variety of techniques and materials
- Demonstrate knowledge of how cultural, political, social and gender issues have affected the creation of art within a historical context
- Use art and design terminology effectively during critiques and discussions of visual images and objects
- Develop creative processes and research methods
- Use current technology as applied to the arts
The National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD) accredits HACC’s Art program. The U.S. Department of Education recognizes NASAD as a specialized accrediting agency for schools of art and design. NASAD’s major responsibility is the accreditation of education programs in art and design including the establishment of curricular standards and guidelines for specific degrees and credentials. The peer review process of accreditation is the only way to gain institutional membership.
HACC has an exciting line-up of national and international art, design and photography exhibits, lectures and workshops each academic year. Visit the Rose Lehrman Arts Gallery for more information on the latest events.
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
Affordably YOURS, our two-year degree program is a transfer program. We designed our programs to be flexible enough to transfer to a wide variety of four-year colleges and universities with no loss of credit. If your intended transfer school participates in Pennsylvania’s statewide college credit transfer system, you will be able to begin at the junior level. Our programs also transfer well to schools outside of the statewide system. However, each individual college has its own unique program. We encourage you to select a four-year school as soon as possible. This will allow you to learn the transfer college’s program requirements so you can take the proper classes at HACC.
Our various transfer options include:
|Pennsylvania College of Art & Design:
|Fine Art (pdf)
You can complete the entire Art program at HACC’s Harrisburg Campus.provided you take some of your required coursework through multiple modalities (e.g. Blended, Online and/or Remote Learning).
Yes! We offer many scholarships through the HACC Foundation. Each scholarship has specific eligibility requirements. To learn how to apply, please visit hacc.edu/Scholarships.
You can enroll in HACC classes for the spring, summer and fall. To apply, visit our website and submit your application anytime. Please include program code 2130 with your application. The code will designate the Art program, so you apply for the correct one.
Future students, we are excited to connect with you and answer your questions. Please choose the option that works best for you to meet with us.
Current HACC students, please contact our Advising Department with any questions.