Please review the information on placement testing. Determine if you need to take placement testing and how to schedule a test.
I need to take placement testing?
Many current or future HACC students need to take placement tests. You need to take placement testing if:
- You are a new applicant. You will be tested in reading, writing and math skills prior to enrollment.
- You want to enroll in an English or math course.
- You want to enroll in a course that has an English or math prerequisite.
- English is your second language. You will need to take English as a Second Language (ESL) test before other placement tests.
- Present evidence of successful completion of prerequisite, college-level courses.
- Enroll in courses without English or math prerequisites.
- Submit a satisfactory score from the SAT (480 or above on the SAT Reading) or ACT (18 or higher on the ACT Reading).
- Completed a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher education
- Present acceptable TOEFL scores.
How do I prepare for the placement test?
HACC uses the College Board's ACCUPLACER placement test. It is not a pass or fail exam, but we do want you to prepare to ensure you succeed and do your best.
- Avoid taking the ACCUPLACER test just to get it done. Choose a day and time that works best for you.
- Review the sample questions and resources to build your confidence.
- Get plenty of rest and eat properly before the test.
- Review Accuplacer's Sample Question for Students Guide (pdf). The guide provides examples of the various exams you may see.
- Check out 'Writing Boot Camp' by Harrisburg Area Community College and other HACC courses on iTunes U for FREE.
- Download the free College Board's Accuplacer app from there website.
- Download College Board's Accuplacer online exam preparation materials.
- View the placement testing video.
How do I schedule my placement test?
Start preparing for the placement testing once you receive your admission letter. Schedule an appointment at any of the campuses:
- Gettysburg Campus, 717-337-3855
- Harrisburg Campus, 717-780-1105
- Lancaster Campus, 717-358-2966
- Lebanon Campus, 717-270-4222
- York Campus, 717-801-3250
How should I prepare for the day of the test?
- Give yourself plenty of time to complete the test. Most students take up to two hours to complete testing.
- Arrive at least 15 minutes before the test begin to find parking, get to the test center, and relax.
What do I need to bring to on the day of the test?
HACC requires photo identification. Approved forms of photo identification are:
- Driver's license
- Work or school identification
Note: We do not permit children in the test center. We do not permit cell phones, calculators or electronic devices.
What should I do after I complete the test?
After completing placement testing, schedule your new student orientation. An advisor will interpret your scores and help you choose courses.
What is the re-testing policy?
We allow all students to re-take the Placement Test after waiting at least two weeks after the initial test date.
It is recommended that students wait six months after the second re-test before re-testing. The initial test and first re-test are free of charge. Any subsequent retests will incur a $25 non-refundable fee.
Who do I ask about accommodations before I take the test?
- If you have a documented disability and require special assistance with testing, contact the campus to schedule testing:
- Gettysburg Campus, 717-337-3855
- Harrisburg Campus, 717-780-2614
- Lancaster Campus, 717-358-2972
- Lebanon Campus, 717-270-6333
- York Campus, 717-801-3276
How can I prepare for the First Year Seminar test-out exam?
Students interested in testing out of the 1-credit First Year Seminar should use the "On Course" textbook for preparation, available at most bookstores. Additionally, a set of flashcards is available free online. Students should also be familiar with the OnCourse principles, outlined here."