Please review the information on placement testing. Determine if you need to take placement testing and how to schedule a test.
Do I need to take placement testing?
Many current or future HACC students need to take placement tests. You need to take placement testing if:
- You are a new applicant. You will be tested in reading, writing and math skills prior to enrollment.
- You want to enroll in an English or math course.
- You want to enroll in a course that has an English or math prerequisite.
- English is your second language. You will need to take English as a Second Language (ESL) test before other placement tests.
How do I prepare for the placement test?
- Review Accuplacer's Sample Question for Students Guide (pdf). The guide provides examples of the various exams you may see.
- HACC administers the Reading Comprehension, Elementary Algebra and Writeplacer. We may ask some students to complete College Math or Arithmetic. HACC does not administer Sentence Skills. Consult an advisor if you have ESL questions.
- Check out 'Writing Boot Camp' by Harrisburg Area Community College on iTunes for FREE writing placement prep.
- Purchase the College Board's Accuplacer app. It is available via iTunes or Apple's App Store.
How do I schedule my placement test?
Start preparing for the placement testing once you receive your admission letter. Schedule an appointment at any of the campuses:
- Gettysburg Campus, 717-337-3855
- Harrisburg Campus, 717-780-1105
- Lancaster Campus, 717-358-2966
- Lebanon Campus, 717-270-4222
- York Campus, 717-801-3250
What do I need to bring to the test?
HACC requires photo identification. Approved forms of photo identification are:
- Driver's license
- Work or school identification
We do not permit children in the test center. We do not permit cell phones, calculators or electronic devices. Most placement tests will take at least two hours to complete.
What should I do after I complete the test?
After completing placement testing, schedule your new student orientation. An advisor will interpret your scores and help you choose courses.
What is the re-testing policy?
We allow all students to re-take the Placement Test. You need to wait at least two weeks after the initial test.
If you would like an additional re-test, you must wait a minimum of six months after re-taking the test. There is a $25 non-refundable fee for each re-test.
Am I exempt from testing?
You are exempt from placement testing if you:
- Present evidence of successful completion of prerequisite, college-level courses.
- Enroll in courses without English or math prerequisites.
You may be exempt from the reading placement test if you:
- Submit a satisfactory score from the SAT (480 or above on the SAT Reading) or ACT (18 or higher on the ACT Reading).
You are exempt from reading and writing placement testing if you:
- Completed a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher education.
You are exempt from the ESL placement test if you:
- Present acceptable TOEFL scores.
Who do I ask about accommodations before I take the test?
If you have a documented disability and require special assistance with testing, contact the campus to schedule testing:
- Gettysburg Campus, 717-337-3855
- Harrisburg Campus, 717-780-2614
- Lancaster Campus, 717-358-2972
- Lebanon Campus, 717-270-6333
- York Campus, 717-801-3276