Designed to help you transfer to a four-year college or university to complete your bachelor’s degree in early childhood education. This curriculum provides you with the opportunity to spend a minimum of 66-hours of field experience working in a variety of childcare and educational settings. Since our curriculum involves both field experiences and classroom observations in childcare centers throughout many school districts. You must obtain the following clearance requirements, at your own expense, prior to enrolling into EDUC 110:
- FBI Clearance
- ACT 151: PA Child Abuse History Clearance
- ACT 34: Request for Criminal Record Check - PA State Police
- Tuberculosis Skin Test (TB test)
Please note that these clearances are to be updated each year. For more information on required clearances, please download the clearances required for education students (pdf) or contact our clearance and placement coordinator Jen Myers.
In conjunction with National Association for the Education of Young Children’s (NAEYC) Standards, our professors will prepare you to:
- Apply the theories of child development in order to promote healthy and challenging learning environments
- Observe and assess children’s development and document their learning in order to develop appropriate curriculum and promote positive outcomes for each child
- Use content knowledge to build meaningful curriculum
- Use effective strategies to implement developmentally-appropriate teaching and learning
- Support and involve families and communities in their children’s development and learning
- Uphold national standards for professionalism and ethics as well as participate in continuous professional growth
- Use legal and ethical standards to locate professional literature in print and/or electronic format in order to make research-based decisions that inform teaching practices
- Prepare and maintain an electronic portfolio that documents personal growth as well as scholastic and professional achievement through the course of the Early Care and Education certificate from entry point class to job search
For more information on our program assessment information, View Program Outcome Data here! (pdf)
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
Yes! Our program is flexible enough to transfer to a wide variety of four-year colleges and universities with no loss of credit. If your intended transfer school participates in Pennsylvania’s statewide college credit transfer system, you will be able to begin at that school as a junior. Our program also transfers well to schools outside the statewide system. However, each individual college has its own unique program. We encourage you to select a four-year school as soon as possible. This helps you be aware of the transfer college’s program requirements and helps you choose the proper courses at HACC.
Please be aware that to transfer and enter professional-level coursework that leads to teacher certification, you must have a 3.0 grade point average (GPA) and have a passing score on one of the Pre-Service Academic Program Assessment (PAPA) tests. It is recommended that you speak to your advisor to learn more about this information.
Our various transfer options include:
We offer the entire program at our Harrisburg, Lancaster and York campuses. You may complete the entire program at the Gettysburg Campus by taking some courses through Virtual Learning.
Yes! We have approximately 200 scholarships available through the HACC Foundation. Please visit www.hacc.edu/scholarships to learn more!
You can submit your application anytime by visiting our website. We offer spring, summer and fall classes to meet your work and life schedules. When you submit your application, please include the unique program code 5070 to ensure you apply to the correct program.
“HACC has been an awesome experience for me and I am glad I decided to set my foot in the door of HACC.”