Online Tutoring: SMARTHINKING
SMARTHINKING is live, online, personalized learning assistance. It is available free of charge for many subjects. Learn about SMARTHINKING.
What subjects does SMARTHINKING support?
View Topics Supported by SMARTHINKING for an up-to-date list of subjects.
How can I use SMARTHINKING?
You can use SMARTHINKING for:
- Live, scheduled tutoring
- Drop-in tutoring
- Offline questions
- Help brainstorming a paper
- A review of your paper
- Help with a math problem
- Connecting with an e-structor and interacting with a live tutor
- Receiving feedback on your writing from a tutor. This usually occurs within 24 hours.
- Receiving a reply to your questions. A tutor will usually reply within 24 hours.
How do I get started with SMARTHINKING?
To use SMARTHINKING, you need to create or update your account. You must:
- Log in to Brightspace by (D2L) accessible via myHACC.
- Click on "SMARTHINKING" under the "Help for Students" area on your home page. Your SMARTHINKING account window will open.
- Click "Yes" when asked if you will accept the plug-in.
When you log into SMARTHINKING through D2L for the first time, you may see an option to transfer your old tutoring session records. You can either:
- Type in your old username and password. This will transfer your old tutoring session records.
- Click "Skip" if you never used SMARTHINKING before and have no old tutoring sessions.
How do I learn about using SMARTHINKING?
There are resources to help you navigate the website and use the service:
- Log in to SMARTHINKING.
- View the SMARTHINKING Student Handbook under the "Academic Resources" tab.
What should I do if I have technical difficulties?
If you experience technical difficulties, make sure:
- You set your browser to allow cookies and pop-up windows. SMARTHINKING uses both of these.
- You are using recommended browsers. Recommended browsers include Firefox 12+, Internet Explorer 9.0+, Safari 5.0+ and Google Chrome 20.0+.
- You install Java. If you need to install Java, go to Java's Website. Follow the instructions for the free download.
If you are still having technical difficulties: