Why should I use HACC’s free tutoring services?
- HACC students report tutoring helps master course material and become more confident in the academic skills.
- 50% of students receiving tutoring have a 3.0 GPA or higher!
When does HACC hold tutoring sessions?
- Check your campus schedule.
Do I need to schedule an appointment?
- No, you do not need to schedule an appointment. Tutoring is available on a walk-in basis.
Who are the tutors?
The tutoring centers are staffed by two types of tutors:
- Professional tutors —These tutors hold at least a bachelor's degree. They may be adjunct instructors on campus.
- Peer tutors —These are students who have successfully completed the course(s) and have been recommended by at least two faculty members.
How can I maximize my tutoring session?
- Bring all necessary class items. These include textbook, assignment, calculator, notes, handouts, flash drive and your own work.
- Write down specific questions ahead of time.
- Bring your HACC ID. You will use your HACC ID to sign in and sign out.
- Come a few days before the assignment is due.
- Be an active participant during the tutoring sessions. Take notes and ask questions.
- Come prepared. Complete the assignment to the best of your ability before meeting with a tutor.
- Write down specific questions.
What does the tutor do?
- The tutor can review your work and help you improve. Tutors can also help you discover useful learning strategies.
What kind of math help can I get?
Tutors can help you:
- Work through problems that are similar to ones on homework or review sheets
- Strengthen computation skills
- Practice problem solving
- Highlight important concepts
What kind of writing help can I get?
Writing tutors can:
- Help you plan and focus your paper
- Suggest ways of clarifying thesis statements and arguments
- Suggest ways of strengthening conclusions
- Point out repeated grammatical, mechanical and punctuation errors
- Provide guidance with documentation
- Provide references to textbooks and electronic sources
Tutors do not provide editing or proofreading services.
What other resources are available?
- Visit HACC’s Tutoring & Testing Libguide for valuable information
What is SMARTHINKING?
- An online tutoring service
- Free for all registered HACC students
SMARTHINKING offers tutoring in:
- Math —all levels
- Writing for all subjects
Click here for information on how to access SMARTHINKING.