Updated: July 21, 2021
Coronavirus Information for Students
Courses will vary in how they are offered. Please visit the class schedule page for more details on each class offering.
This document, Myths of Online Learning, will address some common misunderstandings about online classes.
As some classes will be held online for the summer and fall 2021 semesters, students are able to select and enroll in remote instruction courses from all available options, regardless of the listed campus. To ensure you are viewing all available options, please do NOT select a campus when searching for remote instruction courses.
Please see the example below:
If the building is listed as “Remote,” then your class will only be held on Zoom during the times scheduled.
If the actual day and time of the on-campus class is listed on the schedule with a real building and room number (for example, Lancaster Main 313 for a chemistry class), please remember to build in commuting time.
- The HACC Foundation is pleased to offer many scholarships to our students. Please visit our webpage for application deadlines and continue to check your HAWKMail account for YOUR opportunity to apply for free money.
- Updates regarding the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act and Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act (CRRSAA) can be found at hacc.edu/CARESact.
- The HACC Foundation, Student Government Association, Office of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management, CARE Center and Office of Inclusion and Diversity have partnered to continue the Groceries on the Go initiative launched in June 2020. Please visit the website for future dates and locations.
- The Consultation, Advocacy, Referrals and Empowerment (CARE) Center is a single stop to address non-academic student needs, including child care, food and housing, mental health, transportation and more. Dedicated staff in the CARE Center connect students to resources and services available at the College or within the community. This service is free to all HACC students. More information about the CARE Center is available at hacc.edu/CAREcenter.
The HACC Foundation has provided much-needed support to our students. Please watch this brief video to learn more about how students have benefited from the HACC Foundation.
In addition, the HACC Foundation will award 40 $2,000 tuition giveaways to continuing and future HACC students, which can only be used toward fall 2021 semester tuition and fees. The randomly selected winners will be contacted via email and given instructions to redeem the giveaway. Upon confirmation that all requirements have been met, the $2,000 will be directly applied to their student accounts. Students can still register for the drawing through Aug. 15, 2021.
Students may be eligible to borrow computers, calculators, internet access hotspots and other equipment for the spring, summer and/or fall semester at no cost. Generally, students should be enrolled in six credit hours. However, students with certain critical needs are still encouraged to complete the TechLoan eligibility form. Students will receive a response to the form submission by the following business day.
- Please visit the student tab in myHACC for Brightspace and Zoom resources for students. Students will have access to Brightspace and Zoom through myHACC. The instructor will email students the appropriate Zoom link for that class, and class will be held via Zoom instead of on campus for all remote classes. In addition, your Zoom login information may be posted in the Brightspace (D2L) information for your class.
- Students may have documents printed by the HACC bookstore and mailed to them. This includes articles from our library databases. Simply complete an online form for print jobs that are less than 100 pages or 100 pages or more. The HACC bookstore prints and mails/ships all print requests daily. However, UPS and the U.S. Postal Service are advising of longer delivery times.
- Students can order books online at bookstore.hacc.edu. Textbooks will be shipped to students at no cost. Payments through financial aid, credit card, check or HACC bookstore gift card will be accepted. Students can also order course materials, school supplies, HACC spirit gear and electronics online.
- Remote drop-in advising sessions are available.
- HACC partners with Mazzitti & Sullivan to provide counseling services to students. They are available 24/7 to offer support over the phone, online or in person. Currently enrolled credit students are provided with up to three free counseling sessions per semester. Those services continue for students, even during this COVID-19 pandemic.
- The Online Learning Commons website can be accessed at hacc.edu/LearningCommons. This website provides information about free Microsoft software for students and access to library, testing, tutoring and user support resources. Students can also use the chat features located on the Library webpage.
- HACC offers an array of free tutoring services to all enrolled students, including instant drop-in appointments for tutoring through a software called TutorTrac. TutorTrac also allows students to schedule appointments up to 30 days in advance, which can be a great way to build in planning time for big papers, exams or projects. HACC tutors are available Monday through Saturday to support you. To learn more, please visit the tutoring schedules webpage.
- If students need technical support with a device or software, the Learning Commons offers chat services for user and technical support. The chat assists with quick troubleshooting and provides technical advice for students who may be experiencing difficulties with their devices, e-mail, Google Drive, Office365, Zoom, D2L/Brightspace and other items that User Support would ordinarily help with. Chat is staffed by a real, live person Monday-Friday from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., Eastern Time.
- As of May 12, 2021, eligible individuals can begin applying and enrolling in the Emergency Broadband Benefit (EBB) Program. This temporary program provides the following benefits to eligible households:
- Up to $50 per month discount for broadband service
- Up to $75 per month discount for households on qualifying Tribal lands
- A one-time discount of up to $100 for a laptop, desktop computer or tablet purchased through a participating provider
International students, you are valued members of our teaching and learning community for the cultural and intellectual contributions you make to the educational processes at HACC. We celebrate the diversity you bring to our classrooms and beyond.
We know that some of you were concerned with the ruling issued the week of July 6, 2020, stating that international students must take in-person classes at a U.S. university or community college. Please note that the Trump administration canceled that ruling.
If you have additional questions, please contact the International Student Services Department at email@example.com.
HACC suspended all athletic programs for the spring 2021 semester as a result of the pandemic.
However, HACC is moving forward with planning and scheduling several fall 2021 sports after careful consideration of the current situation. Volleyball and cross country have been selected for fall 2021 competition because there is less close contact to other participants and competitors than sports that involve playing defense.
Spectators will not be permitted to watch games played on any HACC campus. Volleyball matches will be streamed for fans to view.
HACC will continue to monitor the changing climate and evaluate the risks associated with allowing other sports to return to play. As the potential risks posed by COVID-19 go down, other HACC sports will return to play.
Protecting your health and safety continues to be our top priority.
We will also continue to promote activities that students can access remotely to remain connected and engaged such as ESports during the fall 2021 semester.
Student IDs and parking passes are not being issued while the campuses are closed. The College will begin to issue student IDs again when select student services are available on campus in the fall 2021 semester. If a student needs verification of their enrollment at HACC, these options are available:
- An unofficial transcript
- A copy of their college schedule
- An enrollment verification letter
Students can obtain their unofficial transcripts, a copy of their schedule and the enrollment verification letter through the myHACC portal. For additional support with enrollment verification, students can contact the College Welcome Centers via email at OneStopWC@hacc.edu or call 800-ABC-HACC.
Yes. The following Zoom sessions have been scheduled for students:
|Dates and Times|
|Sept. 22, 2021, from 3-3:30 p.m.|
|Oct. 20, 2021, from 3-3:30 p.m.|
|Nov. 17, 2021, from 3-3:30 p.m.|
|Dec. 15, 2021, from 3-3:30 p.m.|
Please check your HAWKMail account for login information and note the following protocols for these Zoom sessions:
Please log in at least five minutes before the session begins. The Zoom meeting will be closed to new participants at 3:05 p.m.
Please use the chat feature to ask questions, and HACC employees and Dr. Ski will respond.
What information do you have about the 2021 Commencement ceremony?
We were proud to virtually celebrate our spring and summer 2021 graduating students on May 13. You can view the ceremony at any time on HACC’s YouTube channel.
Is there a searchable document with answers to the commonly asked questions in the emails from Dr. Ski?
A searchable index of all commonly asked questions (pdf) included in emails to students is now available. To search the document, please click “Find” in your web browser and type in your search words.
Please see the matrix below for email updates sent to students:
Greetings, HACC students!
If you have not been receiving Dr. Ski’s regular email updates, please do the following:
- Check your spam filter and junk mail folders in your inbox.
- Email the following statement to HACCaction@hacc.edu and fill in the blanks with your information:
Greetings, Vertical Response Support!
Please resubscribe me to all email lists to receive emails from HACC, Central Pennsylvania’s Community College (Dr._Ski_president_of_HACC@mail.vresp.com and HACC_Central_Pennsylvania_s_Comm@mail.vresp.com).
My name is: _______________
My email address is: ____________
We will continue to post these emails at hacc.edu/Coronavirus.
Thank you for your patience and understanding.