Personal Trainer Certificate - Non-Credit (PRTR)
Do you have a strong love for exercise? Are you motivated by helping others with their personal health? Our 316-hour, 20-week program will prepare you to turn that passion into a career and earn more than $20,000 annually.
Personal trainers instruct and motivate individuals or groups in exercise activities, general health and nutrition.
With a certificate, you are able to obtain employment in:
- Country clubs
- Fitness or recreation centers
- Health clubs
- Pilates studios
- Yoga & Pilate's studios
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
Our certificate is a total of 316-hours that is to be completed over the course of 20-weeks. Classes are offered twice a week, along with eight hours of study through Virtual Learning. Our coursework includes exercise design and instruction. You will have the opportunity to work with the public on exercise activities, strength training and stretching, as well as fitness assessments. You will be taught scope-of-practice, coaching skills and professionalism.
We will prepare you to:
- Identify the key elements of how the body reacts and adapts to exercise
- Identify the role that vitamins and minerals play in health and performance
- Demonstrate knowledge of basic human anatomy, physiology, biomechanics and nutrition
- Develop communication and coaching skills
- Conduct and interpret fitness assessments for each component of physical fitness - energy balance in weight management, body composition and performance
- Discuss and design interventions for clients using relevant behavior modifications
- Develop appropriate exercise programs within their scope of practice
- Sit for a National Certification Exam like the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) Certified Personal Trainer (CPT) exam or National Science of Sports Medicine Exam (NASM) as examples
Additionally, you have the option to complete a seven-week internship at a local fitness center.
Funding may be available for Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) and VA participants.
Our program is designed to lead you directly into the workforce. However, opportunities are available for you to continue your education and earn an associate degree at HACC once you've completed the certificate. When you complete your associate degree, you can transfer credits to a four-year school.
Classes are conducted twice a week with eight hours of study online. This program is offered at the Harrisburg Campus. To fulfill requirements, you will need to take more than 51% of your coursework through multiple modalities (e.g. Online, Blended and/or Remote Learning).
Yes! Through the HACC Foundation, there are scholarships available. Please visit hacc.edu/scholarships for details and deadlines.
Please contact us using the information listed in the "How Can I Learn More" section to find out about when to apply. The dates and times of the classes are based on location.