Music Business - Associate in Applied Science (AAS) (1806)
If you enjoy working with music recording technology or the promotional side of the music industry, HACC is YOUR choice. By enrolling in our two-year Music Business program, you will learn about the industry through coursework in both practical business components and creative marketing strategies.
You can explore a variety of professional paths in the music industry once you earn your associate degree, such as:
- Music marketing
- Retailing and wholesaling
- Music publishing and licensing
- Concert and arts promotion
- Recording production and distribution technology
We will help you develop the skills you need to apply for these types of entry-level jobs or transfer to a four-year school to further your education. Our Music Industry program is typically a good fit if you:
- Like to use new and creative technologies
- Want to learn and apply sound business principles
- Enjoy working with artists and creative people
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
Our program provides students with experiences in the classroom and in our MIDI computer lab located at our Harrisburg Campus. You also have the opportunity to complete internships and professional studio production at off-campus locations.
After completing this two-year degree, you will know how to:
- Prepare and deliver oral and written presentations on music business concepts
- Develop skills in applied critical thinking and decision making
- Integrate various research methods to collect and analyze music marketing data in order to design music marketing strategies
- Identify the skills, concepts and methodologies necessary to manage the legal, financial, artistic and ethical issues that face the contemporary music business professional
- Identify the basic functions and business interrelationships that occur among the numerous business entities that exist within the music business industry
- Perform and function as a team member
- Compare and contrast basic foundational knowledge of music languages and genres
- Investigate changes to the music business, music media and music management and distribution environments
- Utilize appropriate software and music technologies in order to complete audio and recording production assignments
- Demonstrate functional mastery of necessary collaborative skills by completing a final music marketing internship
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
Yes! Although our program is designed to lead you directly into the workforce, there are opportunities for you to transfer your credits to a four-year school to pursue a bachelor’s degree. We designed our programs to be flexible enough to transfer to a wide variety of four-year colleges and universities with no loss of credit. However, each individual college has its own program. We encourage you to select a four-year school as soon as possible. This will allow you to learn the transfer college’s program requirements so you can take the proper classes at HACC. You can transfer your HACC credits to the colleges and universities below:
|Millersville University of PA:||Music Industry into Music Business Technology (pdf)|
The complete Music Industry program is available at HACC’s Harrisburg Campus.
You can apply to HACC anytime by visiting our website. When you apply, please use the Music Industry program code 1806 to ensure you apply for the correct program. Conveniently, YOURS, HACC offers classes in the spring, summer and fall.