Physician Office Assistant
Learn about our Physician Office Assistant program currently offered in Gettysburg, Harrisburg, Lancaster, Lebanon, and York. Email email@example.com if you have additional questions.
What is a Physician Office Assistant?
A physician office assistant is an entry-level person an an outpatient setting who has:
- familiarity with general workflow of an outpatient medical practice
- an understanding of medical insurance and electronic medical records
- basic computer skills
Where does HACC hold classes?
- HACC offers the program at Gettysburg, Harrisburg, Lebanon and York campuses
What are the required courses?
- Intro to Healthcare
- Medical Office Operations
- Intro to Medical Insurance
- Patient Triage for Physician Office Assistant
- Intro to Healthcare Applications
- Practicum (160-hour unpaid)
- Total length of program is 332 hours - 172 hours of lecture + 160 hours of practicum
What are the program admission criteria?
- Interview with Healthcare Education/Workforce Development staff
- 18 years of age and High School Diploma or GED
- Typing speed of 30 wpm (will be tested at time of HACC interview)
- Satisfactory background checks completed within 1 year prior to start of the practicum Pennsylvania Criminal History Record Check
- Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Record Check-Department of Human Services (formerly DPW) Federal Criminal Background Report-Cogent Systems
- Health Requirements (all must be completed within 1 year prior to start of practicum)
- Physical Exam
- 10 Panel Urine Drug Screen
- PPD (one step or two step depending on practicum site)
- Current Immunization
Where can I get more information?
- Download the Physician Office Assistant program flier which includes requirements, costs, hours, etc.
Who can I contact for more information or to enroll?