Hospitality and Tourism Management (New - Fall 2018): Associate in Applied Science (AAS) (1906)
Do you like to travel, enjoy meeting and serving people and want a career in which each day is different? If you see yourself in a career that focuses on the art and science of making people feel welcome and comfortable, our Hospitality and Tourism Management program can get you started for an exciting, entry-level career.
Our Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degree is accredited by the Accreditation Council of Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
What can I do with this in the workforce?
After you graduate from our Hospitality and Tourism Management program, you will be able to pursue a career as a:
- Banquet and food event manager
- Convention services manager
- Destination planner or promoter
- Dining room manager
- Front office operations manager
- Kitchen or beverage manager
- Sales and marketing manager
- Tour operator or guide
This program allows you to select from three areas of concentration. Depending on the concentration that you select provides with more specific job opportunities within that field.
You’re most likely to succeed in this program if you are:
- A strong communicator who works well with people from all backgrounds
- Detail-oriented with the ability to see the bigger picture
- Quick to solve problems in creative ways
What is the average salary?
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- What occupations are in demand within the region you select
- The number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- The anticipated number of job openings available — just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
What is HACC’s program like?
Our Hospitality and Tourism Management program is designed to prepare you for management, marketing and operational positions in the growing hospitality and tourism industry. Our interdisciplinary program incorporates a wide range of fundamental skills. Upon program completion, you’ll have the knowledge you need to meet the diverse demands of management positions in this industry.
When enrolling, you are able to select from three areas of concentration. Your choices are:
- Hotel and Lodging Management
- Restaurant Food Service Management
- Tourism, Convention and Event Management
After graduating from the program, you’ll be able to:
- Demonstrate basic skills needed in hospitality and tourism organizations
- Display competency in hospitality and tourism business subjects required for critical thinking applications
- Display competency in computer applications relevant to the hospitality and tourism industry
- Demonstrate technical operations, management and supervisory skills
- Recognize how hospitality and tourism organizations work in synergy to enhance the economic viability of geographic areas, both domestic and foreign
- Embrace change to stay current with the ever changing face of hospitality and tourism
- Recognize how specialized training fits into the larger management and societal context
The Accreditation Council of Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) accredits our program. Since 1992, ACBSP is the only nationally recognized organization that grants regional accreditation to two- and four-year colleges and universities. Our accredited program means you’re receiving a quality education that prepares you for a career. For more information about HACC’s accreditation, you may go to: https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/?q=harrisburg&s=all&id=212878.
What classes will I take?
We encourage you to:
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
Can I transfer my credits to a four-year college or university?
Yes! Although our program is designed to lead you directly into the workforce, there are opportunities available for your to transfer your credits to a four-year institution. Affordably YOURS, our programs are designed to be flexible enough to transfer to a wide variety of colleges and universities with no loss of credit. However, each individual college has its own unique program. We encourage you to select a four-year school as soon as possible. This will allow you to learn the transfer college’s program requirements so you can take the proper classes at HACC.
Browse our various transfer options below:
Where can I complete this program?
You can complete all three concentrations at our Harrisburg Campus.
Does HACC offer scholarships?
When can I apply?
You can enroll in classes for the spring, summer and fall. Visit our website to submit your application at anytime. Please include program code 1906 with your application to ensure you’re applying to the correct program.
How can I learn more?
We are your education partner, and will help you reach YOUR career goals. Learn more about our two-year degree program by contacting an admissions counselor or Jason Nielsen, interim department chair. You may also request more information online.