Gerontology: Certificate (3300)
Do you enjoy working with the aging population and want to promote their quality of life? Our online Gerontology Certificate Program is YOUR stepping-stone to a fulfilling career in the gerontology field as it provides a more in-depth study of legal and ethical issues as well as of the psychological and emotional aspects of aging.
Students who display these type of skills are often interested in this program.
- Dedication to learning the latest trends in research and practice
- Enjoys working with others
- Excellent communication skills
- Problem solving
What can I do with this in the workforce?
Whether you are currently working in the aging field or wanting to pursue a new passion, our program can expand your knowledge and opportunities for employment. After graduating from our program, you may work towards obtaining your national certification or secure employment as an activity professional.
You may also work in:
- Allied health fields
- Healthcare administration
- Marketing and business
- Social services
If you decide to continue your academic study or pursue a bachelor’s degree, you can choose to specialize in:
- Healthcare management
- Liberal arts
- Social work
What is the average salary?
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Federal regulations required that the College disclose specific gainful employment information about our program. This link will provide you with information on program costs, job placement rates and completion, and median loan debt.
What is HACC’s program like?
Conveniently YOURS, we offer our program entirely online. Our program is focused on the in-depth study of legal and ethical issues as well as the psychological and emotional aspects of aging and death and dying. The curriculum builds upon basic knowledge of general concepts and practices used in the field of gerontology in areas, including:
- Activity professionals
- Allied health professionals
- Healthcare administration
- Social service
This curriculum prepares you to:
- Demonstrate effective written and oral communication skills
- Utilize current technologies, tools and applications
- Explore opportunities for further study and workforce development in gerontology fields
- Discuss the basic demographics of aging
- Apply basic principles of gerontology to social and health issues
- Recognize differences between normal aging and disease-related aging
- Summarize the physical, mental, social and psychological aspects of aging
- Articulate skills and perspectives necessary to develop an empathetic relationship with an elderly person
- Identify the need for teamwork to provide optimal care for the aging population
- Obtain an in-depth understanding of legal and ethical issues related to aging and end of life issues
- Explain the psychological and emotional processes associated with individuals as they are aging You also will have the opportunity to work towards obtaining a national certification.
What classes will I take?
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
Can I transfer my credits to a four-year college or university?
Yes! Although this program is designed to lead you directly into the workforce, your coursework can transfer into either our associate degree in gerontology or associate degree in health science if you wish to continue your education.
Where can I complete this program?
Our program can be completed from your own home! Since we offer this program entirely online through Virtual Learning, you are able to work around YOUR schedule. If you prefer in-class instruction, you may also complete the program at our Harrisburg Campus by taking some courses through Virtual Learning.
Does HACC offer scholarships?
Yes! Thanks to the HACC Foundation, there are more than 200 scholarships available for you to explore.
When can I apply?
You can apply anytime online! We offer classes in the spring, summer and fall. Please include the Gerontology Certificate Program code 3300 with your application. Using this code will ensure you apply for the correct program.
How can I learn more?