Gerontology - Certificate (3300)
Thank you for your interest in our program. After much consideration, the College is closing the program in summer 2023. Please visit hacc.edu/ProgramClosure for more information and to learn what other program options are available for those interested in elder care. Thank you.
Whether you are currently working in the aging field or wanting to pursue a new passion, our program can expand your knowledge and opportunities for employment. After graduating from our program, you may work towards obtaining your national certification or secure employment as an activity professional.
You may also work in:
- Allied health fields
- Healthcare administration
- Marketing and business
- Social services
If you decide to continue your academic study or pursue a bachelor’s degree, you can choose to specialize in:
- Healthcare management
- Liberal arts
- Social work
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Conveniently YOURS, we offer our certificate entirely online. Our curriculum builds upon our Gerontology diploma, as it provides a further in-depth study of legal and ethical issues as well as the psychological and emotional aspects of aging and death and dying. The curriculum builds upon basic knowledge of general concepts and practices used in the field of gerontology in areas, including:
- Activity professionals
- Allied health professionals
- Healthcare administration
- Social service
This curriculum prepares you to:
- Demonstrate effective written and oral communication skills
- Utilize current technologies, tools and applications
- Explore opportunities for further study and workforce development in gerontology fields
- Discuss the basic demographics of aging
- Apply basic principles of gerontology to social and health issues
- Recognize differences between normal aging and disease-related aging
- Summarize the physical, mental, social and psychological aspects of aging
- Articulate skills and perspectives necessary to develop an empathetic relationship with an older person
- Identify the need for teamwork to provide optimal care for the aging population
- Obtain an in-depth understanding of legal and ethical issues related to aging and end of life issues
- Explain the psychological and emotional processes associated with individuals as they are aging You also will have the opportunity to work towards obtaining a national certification.
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
Yes! Although this program is designed to lead you directly into the workforce, your coursework can transfer into either our associate degree in gerontology if you wish to continue your education.
In addition, all of the course work from the Gerontology diploma can be counted towards the completion of the certificate. This means that as a student majoring in the Gerontology certificate, you have the ability to graduate from both the certificate and also have a diploma in gerontology! It is important that when you reach the degree completion level of the diploma that you then apply to graduate for the diploma. When you have completed the certificate, you then apply to graduate from the certificate. Similarly, all of the coursework within the diploma and certificate may enroll into HACC's 61-credit AAS degree in Gerontology. If you continue your education by completing the AAS degree and follow these recommendations, you could leave HACC with three degrees in gerontology!
Our program can be completed from your own home! Since we offer this program entirely online through virtual learning, you are able to work around YOUR schedule.
Yes! We offer many scholarships through the HACC Foundation. Each scholarship has specific eligibility requirements. To learn how to apply, please visit hacc.edu/Scholarships.
You can apply anytime online! We offer classes in the spring, summer and fall. Please include the Gerontology Certificate Program code 3300 with your application. Using this code will ensure you apply for the correct program.
Future students, we are excited to connect with you and answer your questions. Please choose the option that works best for you to meet with us.
Current HACC students, please contact our Advising Department with any questions.