Civil Technology: Associate in Applied Science (AAS) (4720)
ATTENTION: The Civil Technology AAS program is currently under review by the Engineering & Technology department and significant revisions to the curriculum are expected for implementation in Fall 2019. Until then, the College will be temporarily suspending new student enrollments. Interested students are encouraged to contact Dr. Kelley Engle, Engineering & Technology Department Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Thank you!
If you are detail-oriented but can still keep an eye on the bigger picture, you should consider a position in the civil engineering field. If you are passionate about developing your computer and math skills, our Civil Technology Program can give you the strong foundation you need for a challenging and rewarding career.
The Associate in Applied Science (AAS) in civil technology focuses on the areas of highway and land development, drainage, erosion and sedimentation control and surveying.
What can I do with this in the workforce?
With your associate degree, you can pursue the following positions in civil technology.
- Computer-aided design (CAD) operator
- Engineering technician
You are most likely to succeed in this field if you:
- Have solid math and computer skills
- Have the ability to manage time efficiently
- Enjoy the challenge of solving problems creatively and analytically
- Can solve problems using strong analytical skills
What is the average salary?
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
What is HACC’s program like?
Our program will introduce you to the basics of CAD drafting and design in:
- Computer-aided-drafting (CAD) in AutoCAD
- Civil 3-D environment
- Land development
- Sedimentation control
In addition, you will learn how to interpret major laws and regulations that govern the field of civil engineering as well as write specifications and prepare reports, permits, cost estimates, project documentation and presentations.
As you complete our program, you will:
- Use AutoCAD, CAD Civil 3D and MicroStation CAD software in the civil engineering environment
- Function as members of a crew performing surveying operations and processing data
- Layout an engineer’s conceptual highway design and create horizontal and vertical alignment
- Design commercial and residential building sites under the supervision of an engineer
- Interpret the major laws and codes that govern the practice of civil engineering, architecture and surveying
- Draw boundary surveys
- Draft and design horizontal curves and vertical curves and operate a CAD station efficiently
- Develop contour plans, profiles, cut and fill, and cross sections
- With supervision, prepare drainage design for storm sewers, culverts and outfall protection
- Develop erosion and sedimentation control plans with the assistance of an engineer
- Write specifications and prepare cost estimates for highway and land development projects
- Utilize PennDOT Design Manuals for highway design and plan presentation
- Apply design basics for storm water management, utilities, parking, contours, plans and profiles
- Write and speak effectively
- Appreciate accomplishments in the arts and sciences
What classes will I take?
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
Can I transfer my credits to a four-year college or university?
Although this program is designed to lead directly to employment, transfer opportunities are available. Our programs are designed to be flexible enough to transfer to a wide variety of four-year colleges and universities with no loss of credit. However, each individual college has its own unique program. We encourage you to select a four-year school as soon as possible. This will allow you to learn the transfer college’s program requirements so that you can take the proper classes at HACC.
You can transfer to the following program:
|Bloomsburg University of PA:||Bachelor of Applied Science Technical Leadership (ONLINE & campus) (pdf)
Where can I complete this program?
You can complete the entire program s at our Harrisburg Campus. Some courses are available during the afternoon and evening.
Does HACC offer scholarships?
Yes! Through the HACC Foundation, there are scholarships available. Please visit hacc.edu/scholarships for details and deadlines.
When can I apply?
We offer classes in the spring, summer and fall. To apply anytime, visit our website. When you submit your application, please include program code 4720 to ensure you apply to the correct program.
How can I learn more?