Civil Technology: Certificate (4220)
ATTENTION: The Civil Technology certificate is currently under review by the Engineering & Technology department and significant revisions to the curriculum are expected for implementation in Fall 2019. Until then, the College will be temporarily suspending new student enrollments. Interested students are encouraged to contact Dr. Kelley Engle, Engineering & Technology Department Chair, at Kmengle@hacc.edu for more information. Thank you!
Do you have strong math and computer skills? Are you interested in working outdoors on major highway and land development projects? If this sounds like you, consider a career in civil technology. Our Civil Technology Program can give you the skills you need to succeed in this challenging and rewarding field.
What can I do with this in the workforce?
When you graduate from this program, you can work in the civil engineering field as a computer-aided design (CAD) operator, designer or technician. You also may work with surveying companies or as a member of a surveying crew.
You are most likely to succeed in this program if you:
- Have solid math and computer skills
- Have the ability to manage time efficiently
- Enjoy solving problems using creative and analytical thinking
Solve problems using strong analytical skills
What is the average salary?
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
What is HACC’s program like?
Our instructors provide you with the knowledge necessary to assist engineers in preparing civil engineering plan submissions, which typically involves specifications, reports, permits, cost estimates, project documentation and presentations.
You will learn how to write specifications, interpret the major laws that govern the civil engineering field, understand the basics of CAD drafting and design in the following areas of civil engineering:
- Civil 3-D environment
- Computer-aided-drafting (CAD) in AutoCAD
- Erosion and sedimentation control
- Land development
Once you graduate from our program, you will be able to:
- Use AutoCAD, CAD Civil 3D and MicroStation CAD software in the civil engineering environment
- Function as members of a crew performing surveying operations and processing data
- Layout an engineer’s conceptual highway design and create the horizontal and vertical alignment
- Design commercial and residential building sites under the supervision of an engineer
- Interpret the major laws and codes that govern the practice of civil engineering, architecture and surveying
- Draw boundary surveys
- Draft and design horizontal curves and vertical curves and operate a CAD station efficiently
- Develop contour plans, profiles, cut and fill lines, and cross sections
- With supervision, prepare drainage design for storm sewers, culverts and outfall protection
- Develop erosion and sedimentation control plans with the assistance of an engineer
- Utilize PennDOT Design Manuals for highway design and plan presentation
- Apply design basics of storm water management, utilities, parking, contours, plans and profiles
- Design storm sewers, culverts and outfall protection based on instruction from an engineer
Federal regulations require that the College disclose specific gainful employment information about our program. This link will provide you with information on completion rates and placement, program costs and median loan debt.
What classes will I take?
- Browse our advising checksheet (pdf), which is also an excellent tool to help you personalize your course load each term and manage your overall advancement through our programs.
- View summaries of every course at HACC by browsing our class schedules database.
- Review our program guide (pdf) to view a list of required courses, recommended course sequencing and program competencies.
Can I transfer my credits to a four-year college or university?
Our program is designed to lead you directly to employment. However, you may transfer your credits into our associate degree in civil technology if you want to further your education.
Where can I complete this program?
You can complete the entire program at our Harrisburg Campus. Some courses are available during the afternoon and evening.
Does HACC offer scholarships?
Yes! Through the HACC Foundation, there are scholarships available. Please visit hacc.edu/scholarships for details and deadlines.
When can I apply?
You can enroll in classes in the spring, summer and fall by applying online anytime. When you submit your application, be sure to include the unique program code 4220. Using this code ensures you apply to the correct program.
How can I learn more?
If you are looking for a way to turn your math and problem-solving skills into a career in civil technology, choose HACC. Please contact an admissions counselor or department chair Kelley Engle, to learn more. You may also request more information online.