back to web version
HACC's print sized logo

State Grants and Special Programs

Effective for the 2016-17 award year

If you are  attending HACC, we must be listed first on your FAFSA in order for you to  receive the PA State Grant at our school. If you listed another school as the  first choice, you must update this information on your own.  Go to and log into Account  Access.  If you have never used Account Access, you will need to create a  user name and password.
HACC’s school  code is 003273.

PHEAA State Grants and Special Programs

Learn more about the PHEAA State Grant and special programs.

Am I eligible for a PHEAA State Grant?

Many students are eligible for a State Grant. You must:

  • Be a PA resident.
  • Have resided in PA for at least one year before completing the FAFSA.
  • Be pursuing an Associate's Degree.
  • Be taking at least six credits per term.
  • Be enrolled in a total of 15 weeks every Fall/Spring term and at least 8 weeks for the Summer term. You are not eligible if you are enrolled only in Late Start classes.

Veterans are eligible to apply for the State Grant. The state gives preference to veterans. The state generally does not consider income when determining veterans' awards.

Download the State Grant Overview (pdf) for eligibility guidelines and requirements.

Do developmental courses count towards the six credit hour requirement?

Developmental (0-level) courses may not count toward the six credit hour requirement.

How would I lose the grant?

You will lose the State Grant if you:

  • Have more than 50% of your credits through Internet or blended coursework. This can be at any point during a term.
  • Do not maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). You must maintain SAP for the state to consider you for future terms. The progress guidelines for State Grant are different than the Federal guidelines. Download PHEAA State Grant Progress (pdf).

What is the FAFSA deadline for a State Grant?

  • Transfer programs and renewals —May 1
  • Career programs —August 1

How do I apply for a PHEAA State Grant?

File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each academic year.

How can I learn more about the PHEAA State Grant?


What are special programs?

PHEAA and community partners have developed other programs. These programs can assist you with educational costs. Some of these programs include:

  • Chaffee Grant —for students who were in foster care
  • Robert Byrd Scholarship —for students who demonstrate academic excellence
  • PATH Program —for eligible students with demonstrated need

Where can I get more information about special programs?

Visit for more information about PA special programs.