back to web version
HACC's print sized logo

Applying for Aid

Applying for aid

Learn more about applying for financial aid.

How do I apply for financial aid?

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You need to complete the FAFSA every year.

  • You will need a FSA ID (Federal Student Aid ID ) to electronically sign your FAFSA and access online systems. The FSA ID will act as your legal, online signature.
  • At least one parent must apply for a FSA ID if you are a dependent student. A PIN allows them to electronically sign your FAFSA.


  • HACC's school code for ALL campuses is 003273.

When do I need to submit the FAFSA?


You need to submit your FAFSA every year after October 1 and before February 15. This will ensure you are considered for the maximum amount of aid possible including grants, scholarships, loans and work programs.


What do I need to do before I submit the FAFSA?


You and your parents must file your federal taxes first. You must file your federal taxes electronically. Wait 10 to 14 days. Then complete the FAFSA.


By waiting 10 to 14 days, you will have access to all of your IRS data. You will need to use this data to populate the FAFSA.

Is it too late to apply?


Contact HACC's Office of Financial Aid Services at the campus you plan to attend. We can tell you if it is too late to apply.


The government will still consider you for a Pell Grant and/or Direct Stafford Loans even if you miss the deadline.


What happens after I complete the FAFSA?


Once you complete the FAFSA, the government sends the information you provided to three agencies. These agencies are:

  1. The Federal Government

The Federal Government considers you for all types of Federal grants and loans.

  1. The Pennsylvania State Grant Agency (PHEAA)

PHEAA considers you for a State Grant

  1. HACC

The college you list on the FAFSA form considers you for all institutional scholarships and other funding.