Registration for Veterans

Veterans and Active Military

HACC Supports Veterans and  Active-Duty Personnel

Meet Kasey Jordan (above photo). She is a graduate of HACC’s Criminal Justice Program, pursuing a bachelor’s degree from Bloomsburg University through a program offered at HACC and pursuing her second Associate Degree in Enology and Viticulture.

“Using your benefits at HACC is stress-free. When I first started, I came to the Military and Veteran’s Affairs office with nothing but myself. They guided me through the entire process. In less than an hour, I left campus enrolled at HACC, registered for a full semester of classes and had my VA education benefits submitted. It was awesome!” – Kasey Jordan

Come meet Kasey and the more than 1,200 active military and veterans who are studying at HACC either in the classroom or through Virtual Learning.

We are proudly YOURS. As the second largest active military and veteran population among public colleges and universities in Pennsylvania, you have…

  • 500 online classes for you to continue your education anywhere  
  • Vet Success on Campus to provide support for easing the transition to academic life
  • More than 130 programs to earn an associate degree, certificate or diploma  
  • Options to transfer credits to four-year colleges
  • Choices for your high school juniors or seniors to use military benefits for dual enrollment at HACC to earn high school and college credit simultaneously  
  • Options to receive three physical education credits or two physical education credits and one wellness credit if the basic training date occurred after 1993

Summer and fall 2016 registration opens March 28 for you! Attend our Open Enrollment Days March 30-31, from 8 a.m.-6 p.m. to complete the entire enrollment process with our help. All of the campuses will  be open and ready to assist you.

If you’re unable to join us during Open Enrollment Days, please follow these steps to become a HACC student:

  1. Please contact HACC's Military and Veteran Affairs Office (MVAO). This office will provide an MVAO education briefing about:
    • GI Bill® and Military/Dependent education benefits eligibility
    • GI Bill® and Military/Dependent payment process    
    • HACC's certification process
    • Student responsibility and academic progress                   
      You’ll also receive assistance with:      
    • The required VA application paperwork o Submitting the VA Form 22-1990 for new students Submitting the VA Form 22-1995 for transfer students   
    • Completing the VA Form 22-5490 or 22-5495 forms for individuals receiving chapter 35 or Fry scholarship benefits    
    • Information on Education Assistance Program (EAP) for Guard      
    • Information on Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) for Reserve or Guard 
      YOUR MVAO offices:    
    • Gettysburg Campus 717-337-3855 ext. 113034
    • Harrisburg Campus 717-780-2331    
    • Lancaster Campus 717-358-2954
    • Lebanon Campus 717-270-6346    
    • York Campus 717-718-0328 ext. 513226
    • For immediate assistance, please call 717-780-2331 or email vaoffice@hacc.edu.          
  2. Apply and enroll in HACC. Our MVAO staff has served or is currently serving in the military. They are here to help you with
    applying and enrolling.   
  4. Submit your Veterans Benefits Request form (Yellow Sheet). You can complete this form online after you register for classes. 
    The law for in-state tuition is a PA law - HR 3230 Section 702 Effective for the Spring 2015 (201530) semester, all veterans/eligible students will be charged in state tuition rates as per HR 3230 Section 702.

According to Act 46 of 2014, HACC, Central Pennsylvania’s Community College is required to provide course scheduling preference for veteran students. Per this Act, HACC established a veteran as: a person who has served in the United States Armed Forces, including a reserve component and National Guard; and was discharged or released from such service under conditions other than dishonorable. Current members of the National Guard, Reserves and Active Duty (Active Duty service  members must provide a copy of their PCS orders) are also included in this definition. 
A veteran does NOT need to be using Veterans Administration (VA) or Department of Defense (DoD) benefits to be eligible for scheduling preference. Veterans using VA or DoD education benefits will be given a benefits briefing by HACC's MVAO staff. The veteran student must be admitted to HACC and provide HACC's MVAO a copy of their discharge paperwork (DD Form 214) or a Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE). HACC's MVAO will review the submitted documents and indicate veteran status on student’s record.   
Course scheduling for approved veteran students will start one (1) week prior to HACC's priority scheduling for returning students. Veteran students must provide documentation to the MVAO at least one (1) week prior to veteran  priority scheduling. In addition, new HACC veteran students must complete New Student Orientation (NSO) and meet with an academic advisor prior to course scheduling, NSO can be completed either face-to-face, on campus or online through HACC's orientation system. Each student who qualifies under the law as a “veteran student” (current or new) will be coded by the MVAO office, which will allow students to register in person or online during the priority registration period. Current veteran students must meet the same academic standards as other students to have priority registration in HACC's competitive programs. Students are responsible for following the process outlined in this policy. Students who do not meet the deadlines will be placed into HACC's regular enrollment process.
The college’s representative for this program is HACC's Military and Veteran Affairs Director and Coordinator. The representatives can be contacted at 717-780-2331 or via e-mail at vaoffice@hacc.edu
“Act 46 of 2014 requires public institutions of higher education in Pennsylvania to provide veteran students, as defined in the Act, with preference in course scheduling. Non-compliance may be reported to the Pennsylvania Department of Education by submitting the Higher Education Student  Complaint form found at www.education.state.pa.us

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the  U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education  benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.