Nurse - LPN
Learn about our Practical Nursing Certificate program (LPN) (368P)
Nursing information sessions - Learn about nursing careers, HACC's programs, time commitment, expenses, TEAS, Essential Qualifications/background checks/health forms, application process. Sessions will be held at the following locations:
Gettysburg Campus - Wednesday, March 15, 5 pm in room 120B
Download clinical application information and deadllines - Admission Criteria and Essential Qualifications (pdf, rev 3/23/16).
Link to Spring 2018 clinical application (on SurveyMonkey.com) will be HERE - open July 1 through September 28 - CHECK BACK for link.
TEAS information - April 2016 (pdf)
What does a practical nurse (LPN) do?
- Work under the direction of a physician, or registered nurse.
- Meet the basic needs of patients. These include feeding, bathing, dressing, assisting with personal hygiene and emotional care.
- Administer medications.
Learn more about a career in practical nursing (Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational)
Where do LPNs work?
LPNs can work in a variety of settings. These include:
- Long-term care facilities and rehabilitation centers
- Outpatient clinics and doctors' offices
- Home Health
- Outpatient surgical centers
How much does the program cost?
Download Estimated Expenses (pdf) for a list of expenses.
What degree will I earn? Will I be eligible for credentials?
Upon successful completion you will:
- Receive a Practical Nursing Certificate of Completion
- Be eligible to sit for the LPN licensure exam (NCLEX-LPN®) administered by the State Board of Nursing.
What are the required courses and what is the suggested schedule? How long does the program take to complete? Where are the clinical classes held?
- Download a list of required courses/suggested schedule (pdf)
- HACC holds practical nursing clinical courses at the Harrisburg and Lancaster campuses. Prerequisite courses are offered at other campuses and sites.
- The program is offered full-time during the day and the clinical component takes three semesters - Spring, Summer and Fall.
What are the program clinical admission criteria and how do I apply for clinicals?
- Admission to HACC does not guarantee admission to the clinical component of the program. You begin as a pre-nursing student and work closely with your advisor to prepare to apply to the clinical/core component.
- You are required to meet with a Health Careers advisor and complete general education courses before applying for the clinical portion.
- Download Admission Criteria and Essential Qualifications (pdf, rev 3/23/16).
- Link to Spring 2018 clinical application (on SurveyMonkey.com) will be HERE - open July 1 through September 28 - CHECK BACK for link.
- Download Nursing High School Graduation Requirement (pdf, 10/3/11)
Is the program accredited?
The program is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN)
3343 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 850
Atlanta, Georgia 30326
Can I advance my education in this field?
- You can pursue HACC's Health Science associates degree.
- HACC has a Transitional LPN program which offers advanced standing in the RN program to those LPNs who qualify and want to pursue an associate degree in nursing.
What is the most current program effectiveness data?
- NCLEX-PN First Time Pass Rate October 1, 2014 – September 30, 2015: 93.8%
- Class of December 2015: 93.33%
- Program Completion Class of December 2014: 81%
- Program Completion Class of December 2015: 73%
- Job Placement: 100%
How can I get more information?
- Download the Nursing Student Handbook 2016-2017 (pdf) (includes dosage calculation requirements)
- Visit Career Infonet for salary and job outlook statistics. Find career videos and licensing requirements.
- Visit the National Association for Practical Nurse Education and Service, Inc. (NAPNES) .
- Visit allnurses.com .
- Visit Careers for Nurses .
- Visit the Accreditation Commission for Nursing Education (ACEN) .
- Visit the PA State Board of Nursing .
- HACC-approved credential evaluation service (pdf)
Practical Nursing Program, Harrisburg Campus
Select Medical Health Education Pavilion (SMHEP), Room 204
One HACC Drive
Harrisburg, PA 17110
Practical Nursing Program, Lancaster Campus
Main Building, Room 215
1641 Old Philadelphia Pike
Lancaster, PA 17602